Author Topic: Ask Sally  (Read 58226 times)

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
Re: Ask Sally
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2010, 02:14:24 PM »
i dunno but when you "suck eggs" you should actually "blow"...
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • M.E. is NOT a figment of my imagination
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2010, 06:26:17 PM »
Here's a question...

How can life both suck and blow at the same time?

absolutely no idea at all but i am sure there are a few 'friendly ladies' on some other websites will tell you for a not so small fee.............
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

most mornings i wake up grumpy.   sometimes i just let him sleep.

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline Tasker

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • How far to Hitchin? It's Hitchin i'm missing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2010, 06:35:21 PM »
Here's a question...

absolutely no idea at all but i am sure there are a few 'friendly ladies' on some other websites will tell you for a not so small fee.............

Not quite the type of answer I would expect from you young lady.  :tsk:

Life is being a teeny bit on the "The universe hates me!" side at the moment.
Tasker the Mighty,
He roams through the countryside,
He never needs a place to hide...

mnpazan

« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2010, 12:56:10 PM »

In one end and out the other.

mnpazan

« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2010, 12:57:44 PM »
How come the last of the milk is never enough for a bowl of cereal?

Offline mcfonz

• Dark Lord
  • Gulp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 23, 2010, 01:28:21 PM »
Its probably been answered somewhere already and I am now going to look like a bit of an idiot (nothing new there then!) but, how was the forum of doom created? And by that I mean what drew the forces of doom together to form such a formidable alliance?

Somehow I don't think it has anything to do with a ring although hobits may or may not be involved . . . .
Addicted drewling gibbering slave of the FOD and its mini makers, painters and fans . . . . .
http://mcfonz.blogspot.com

Offline Penfold

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • ooh-ech
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 23, 2010, 01:35:17 PM »
No Answer required  just to see if my rant works again.
Please Mistres Libertee has my order for new toys been posted yet  :D
Ernest Penfold master of Kung Moggie
                   For 2014
Figs brought: 0    Figs Painted:0

Offline Chris_M

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 24, 2010, 01:17:43 PM »

Exactly, if there is a pressure differential causing a fluid to flow from one place to another, then the fluid will effectively be sucked from one place, and blow into the other - if you're in the middle of that pressure differential, then you experience both.  :angel:

Hope things improve soon Tasker.

Anyway - a question that only someone of Sally's towering intellect can possibly answer.

Why do England persist in trying to play Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard together, despite Lampard being about as much use as a paper hat in a hurricane?

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2010, 12:14:03 PM »

Exactly, if there is a pressure differential causing a fluid to flow from one place to another, then the fluid will effectively be sucked from one place, and blow into the other - if you're in the middle of that pressure differential, then you experience both.  :angel:

Hope things improve soon Tasker.

Anyway - a question that only someone of Sally's towering intellect can possibly answer.

Why do England persist in trying to play Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard together, despite Lampard being about as much use as a paper hat in a hurricane?
technically thats wrong - the ONLY force acting is the blow... a vacuum does not suck it just allows the higher pressure behind to push

I agree about lampard... drop him put the wings on and ATTACK...
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

greenstuff_gav

« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
if England get knocked out (pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease) will the country stop talking about this nancy-boy sport with a round ball?
also, will this mean my car will stop getting vandalised if England no longer play on TV?

mnpazan

« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2010, 02:14:52 AM »
technically thats wrong - the ONLY force acting is the blow... a vacuum does not suck it just allows the higher pressure behind to push

I've head this said many times, but I still think it's a semantic hiccup on the pedant's part. You're really just redefining the word "suck" as a context-specific subcategory of "blow". This doesn't effect the word's application, so "suck" is still correct.

It's true that the concept many people have in their heads for the word "suck" is that of a pulling force rather than a pushing one, but since the word's actual use would be the same either way, the correction is only relevant when someone tries to explicitly define "sucking" as such. That's pretty rare though. As with most words (for a given vocab level), people generally use it in the belief that the listener already knows what it means: explaining it defeats the purpose of using it.

So it's not that things don't suck, it's just that they don't suck the way people usually think. They still suck just as much though, and under the same circumstances, so simply saying that things suck does not, in itself, suck. Life can both suck and blow in the same sense that a Toyota can be both a car and a vehicle.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2010, 09:43:21 PM »
its not pedantry at all.

its basic physics.

Offline Overrevdsquat

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2010, 10:19:55 PM »
Presumably in creating the vacuum something is sucked out though.

mnpazan

« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2010, 02:52:11 AM »
its not pedantry at all.

its basic physics.

No, you've missed the point. You're confusing a physics issue with a linguistic issue.

Yes, the concept most people think of for "suck" is physically incorrect, but that isn't linguistically relevant. Again, all you're really doing is redefining the word "suck" in a way which doesn't change it's use.

Read the previous posts again, while imagining that the definition for "suck" being used is actually "force generated by a pressure differential when specifically resulting from a localized drop in pressure relative to the ambient pressure". You'll find that, with the exception of those where a dichotomy with "blow" is implied, they all make sense. Even the dichotomy issue can be smoothed away by assuming the definition for "blow" being used is "force generated by a pressure differential when specifically resulting from a localized increase in pressure relative to the ambient pressure". These meanings are both physically correct, and fit intuitively and perfectly with both words' common use.

"Suck" is an unusual case in which successful correction of the concept retroactively makes the same usage of the word just as correct as it was falsely assumed to be before the correction. Since the right concepts work just as easily with the same words as the wrong ones, that means you (and anyone who nit pics "suck") had no real way of knowing which concepts were intended when you made your correction. You merely assumed that it was the impressionistic, physically incorrect lay definition (reasonable assumption, statistically speaking, but there was still nothing actually there in the posts themselves).

So correcting the word "suck" is a blind coin toss in terms conceptually necessity, and is definitely linguistically unnecessary due to self-canceling logic. Much like my own posts :lol: it neither changes nor adds to the discussion, so yeah... pedantic.

Language is a bugger sometimes.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:54:43 AM by mnpazan »

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2010, 09:08:28 AM »
Maybe we should just agree that "language sucks"?

Offline Chris_M

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »
if England get knocked out (pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease) will the country stop talking about this nancy-boy sport with a round ball?
also, will this mean my car will stop getting vandalised if England no longer play on TV?
Obviously not, as now we're into the inquests, recriminations, calls for various people's heads/other parts of their anatomy, before all the hype starts again ahead of the new season and Euro 2010 qualifiers...  :roll:

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »

is it rugby season then?
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #117 on: July 04, 2010, 11:37:54 PM »
thi section is called ask sally right?

so, sally - what is your pc password?

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2010, 09:06:10 AM »
thi section is called ask sally right?

so, sally - what is your pc password?

Ha ha ha ha ha ...very funny!

Offline Chris_M

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2010, 02:39:27 PM »

is it rugby season then?
It is indeed - although only for the proper version (none of this Union nonsense :whistle: ).

mnpazan

« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2010, 12:31:55 PM »

:lol: Agreed.

Sorry if I came off a bit strident. I was feeling/going for playful, but on rereading it looks different, to my eye at least :oops:.

mnpazan

« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »
Who's idea was it to make the days of the week a prime number? :eh:

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2010, 01:15:02 PM »

:lol: Agreed.

Sorry if I came off a bit strident. I was feeling/going for playful, but on rereading it looks different, to my eye at least :oops:.

s'no problem to me mate... a bit of debate is healthy. This type medium is pretty much guaranteed to bring out confusion, disagreement and well-meaning argument.

Offline Paul

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2010, 09:04:23 PM »
Hi Sally.

I've been trying to e-mail you for the last week or so, but your uncharacteristic lack of response implies to me that you might not be receiving my question.  I've tried libbytheaxe@yahoo.co.uk and mrshasslefriesian@hotmail.com, but no response from either, and I know your usual speed of response to be excellent.

Have you been having any issues with your e-mails?  Or are they getting through, but I'm just not receiving your response?

Of course, if the correct answer is "I have multiple children and a husband, and therefore no time to deal with your query, bloody wait!", I shall understand entirely.

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Hi Sally.

I've been trying to e-mail you for the last week or so, but your uncharacteristic lack of response implies to me that you might not be receiving my question.  I've tried libbytheaxe@yahoo.co.uk and mrshasslefriesian@hotmail.com, but no response from either, and I know your usual speed of response to be excellent.

Have you been having any issues with your e-mails?  Or are they getting through, but I'm just not receiving your response?

Of course, if the correct answer is "I have multiple children and a husband, and therefore no time to deal with your query, bloody wait!", I shall understand entirely.

Hi Paul,

i got the email from last night and have replied to it plus also sorted out the linked request.  Sorry for not replying yesterday...wednesday is the day when i  have Luke all day and admin doesnt even get sniffed at until when the kids are in bed!