Author Topic: Codex: Demiurg Warhost  (Read 37407 times)

Offline fog99uk

• There's a 4 foot hight restriction don't ya know?
  • Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
Re: Codex: Demiurg Warhost
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2009, 11:14:40 PM »
I'm a big "clarification rant" fan, I do it all over the place...mainly because i like to beat the stupidity out of people. It obviously didn't work to stop AP3 hellguns, not to mention the rest of the beard grown by the new guard codex.

Just so you know the bike I'm working on is looking a lot like the light cycles from Tron. The way I'm designing it I'll be able to make the trike version to be used either way round (2 wheels at front and one at back or vice-versa).

The overall character of the army on the battlefield is tough, elite infantry supporting long ranged fire.

Here's a couple of pics for your pleasure...

Darknight

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2009, 11:19:07 PM »
That big Leviathan thing is awesome ... but why is it called Baldrick?

Offline fog99uk

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2009, 11:23:04 PM »
With a doomsday cannon, thunderer cannon, 4 plasma missiles, 8 battlecannons and 16 twin-linked heavy bolters it is the ultimate embodiment of Baldrick's poem.

It's a colossus by the way.

Darknight

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2009, 12:52:22 AM »

Offline fog99uk

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2009, 07:59:01 PM »
I've updated the Codex again. Removed the transport capacity of the iron eagle, it shouldn't have any. I've also expanded the biker bestiary entry.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2009, 05:50:48 PM »
...the file link that you requested is not valid...

However, from the one I down loaded earlier,here is a tip or two.

Try to keep your terms the same...in the Ion Blaster description, it suddenly turns into a Bolt Rifle.  There are a few others where you start referring to the Demiurg as Squats (and it is just during the descriptions rather than in stories) and where you call weapons/equipment different things in the description.

My god there is a lot of STUFF there.  So many different choices of robots/troops etc...You will probably hate me for this but I would recommend that you trim it down a little bit.  Instead of four different types of robot, how about one type with different weapon options (that will have the added bonus of moving away from Imperial Guard robots as well).

I really got a sense of the Squat army influence all the way through and in places, some of the stories/paragraphs were so Squat like that they took away the uniqueness of the army you are trying to create.

I don't think that carrying everything over from the squats and adding a few extra bits really works for me...I think there needs to be a certain amount of replacement going on otherwise it is just Squats with a few extras, rather than a unique army that is made up of Demiurg.

On the flip side, if you are aiming at keeping the spirit of the original then you are doing a great job.

The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline fog99uk

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2009, 12:06:14 AM »
Thanks for pointing that out, I missed have missed it. I've updated the link, it should work now. I've reduced most of the Initiative values by one, they do have small arms after all. I've separated the special and heavy weapon options in the Warrior Brotherhood so that you can take one of each.

I did set out to create a Squat list in such a way as to fit with the current 40k character and background. The codex did start out as a pretty much straight copy of the original units and equipment and I've been evolving it from there, making much of the technology unique to them while still retaining some of the old technology that was shared with the Imperium.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 12:10:28 AM by fog99uk »

Offline sagunt

• Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2009, 03:40:01 PM »

@Brandlin:  Sorry but with all the robot kits I've got, I don't think I could say to my wife 'I have denounced giant robots so I'll have to get rid of these' without sleeping on the lawn with all my possessions for wasting 'all that money' :mrgreen:

Oh, yes, you could.  Then tell her you'll be sending them all to someone in California you've never met.

Offline fog99uk

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2009, 11:26:58 PM »
I've uploaded a new copy available by following the link in my signature. I've given the codex an extensive overhaul since I last uploaded it. Bear in mind I need to go through and further expand the detail in the bestiary entries.

I do however have a bit of a dilemma... Bikes.

Personally I'd like to simply remove them from the list. Even ignoring the numerous arguments against bikes in battle anyway, something I have addressed technologically in their description, I just don't think they fit in with the character of the army. The problem is that the bikes were amongst peoples favourite units in the original list.

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2009, 09:16:48 AM »
ive not seen the list, but make em a light scouting unit, low numbers per unit to represent the fact there spread widly out in the role. maybe 3-5 plus ( or including) a support trike. gives the user a chance to score big time if used aggressivly at just the right time, and that theyll just evaporate under fire if not.
a happy dauber

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »
Leave bikes out.

If you don't think they fit with the flavour of what you are trying to achieve...don't have them.  You have gyro copters don't you?  They are as good, if not better than bikes.

Basically, you have a big decision to make and until you make it, you won't be able to get very far.

Do you want Codex Squats or do you want Codex Demiurg?  

If you want the second, you need to bin the first and start from scratch.  They aren't the same.  

...and if that is the case, why not call it Codex Grymn War-host and make up fluff for the new army.  You may as well because the likelihood of GW making this codex official is slim to nothing...they just aren't into the Space Dwarf thing.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 09:34:41 AM by Inso »
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Offline fog99uk

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2009, 10:01:14 PM »
My idea was to link the Squats firmly into the Demiurg concept. The issue of the bikes is not as complex as it could be. They are entirely part of the Guilds and so can be separated easily. I would still like to include them as an option, perhaps only being taken if the army includes a Guild Lord.

Regarding why GW has not returned to the Squats. The man who has been their creative director has a loathing for dwarves in all forms and has refused any chance for the Squats to be revisited. The good news is that he is retiring next year!

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2009, 10:12:48 PM »
I know I keep repeating myself but if you are going to all the effort of writing a codex, why not be original?  Why bother with the whole Squat thing?  There isn't a lot of fluff out there for Demiurg so you have a pretty free reign to do what you like with them...you could make the codex unique and full of flavour. 

It just seems that you are more or less re-writing a Squat Codex and calling it something else...when what you really want to do is write a Squat Codex.

I think it is great that you are using Grymn with WH40k (I use Codex Imperial Guard myself) but it seems that you could do so much better by freeing yourself from the old, dead concept of Squats...and concentrate on the NEW race of Demiurg...

Just my opinion...

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2009, 10:15:35 PM »
...the man who has been their creative director has a loathing for dwarves in all forms and has refused any chance for the Squats to be revisited. The good news is that he is retiring next year!

Who's that then?
In the war-torn darkness of the future, there is only Grymn.

Deep Space Nine: Officially not as good as Stargate.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2009, 10:17:50 PM »
Gargamel ;).

Offline fog99uk

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2009, 11:15:42 PM »
I'll find out the guys name and let u know.

Offline fog99uk

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2009, 11:47:54 PM »
Ere we are, got clarification for ya.

"That would be Bryan Ansell former CEO of Games Workshop. He left the company in 95 to concentrate on Wargames Foundry but part of his deal in leaving was that he remained on as creative consultant for Games Workshop until 2010 (not sure if thats the start or the end though) as well as getting one of every single model they produce till that time for his collection. Add to that a 15 million pound pay out and you got yourself a great sign off deal :)

Bryan is a really nice guy actually and he was responsible along with Rick Priestly for shaping the way both WFB and 40K were developed in fact 40K was based on his game Laserburn from the late 70s. He killed off the Squats as he didnt like the biker attitude that had been built up around them and also killed off the Zoats and Jokaro as he hated both races. He also didnt like that Slann from 40K so they went at Games Day 91"

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2009, 10:12:03 AM »
I think you'll find that Brian didn't have that much influence over anything once he left GW. Jervis and Andy Chambers were the ones most responsible for the Squats getting the axe and not bringing them back in the intervening years has just been inertia and lack of interest on the part of the creative team.
In the war-torn darkness of the future, there is only Grymn.

Deep Space Nine: Officially not as good as Stargate.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline fog99uk

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2009, 08:51:16 PM »
Then I shall revive it!

Offline a_thousand_hats

• Outrageously Optimistic
  • Chosen Heretic
  • Planning world domination on a budget of 12 pence
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2009, 01:47:12 PM »
I think you'll find that Brian didn't have that much influence over anything once he left GW. Jervis and Andy Chambers were the ones most responsible for the Squats getting the axe and not bringing them back in the intervening years has just been inertia and lack of interest on the part of the creative team.

:yup:

That was my understanding of it too - I think the creative team would love to develop new races. The ideas are the easy bit though - it's the whole implementation within the production and sales behemoth that takes time (and, perhaps more importantly, convincing 'the powers that be' that there's a big enough profit in doing it).

I get the impression that the days of doing something just because it was cool disappeared a long time ago, only recently replaced with the Collectors line GW have via direct web sales only. (Vampire pirate mini etc. to give the sculptors a bit of room to stretch out every now and again).
Once more to the breach my friends...

Offline fog99uk

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2009, 04:06:10 PM »
I got given this cool looking Dinky toy and thought it was perfect for a Grymn light transport crawler.

Offline hawkins

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • Evil? You have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2009, 06:19:18 PM »
I'll agree with the bikes in combat thing being silly. (as they are dangerous enough to the driver without having to think about battle feild terrain and people shooting at you.)
But thats not to say that a bike cant get you to a battle or away from one.
You PLAY with GARY every time you pick up the dice

Offline fog99uk

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2009, 07:03:29 PM »
Right. I have been tempted every time I go past my local Forbidden Planet store. I'm getting a Terminator Salvation Hunter Killer for my Grymn.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2009, 07:21:24 PM »
Right. I have been tempted every time I go past my local Forbidden Planet store. I'm getting a Terminator Salvation Hunter Killer for my Grymn.

what will you do with it?

Use it as it is and treat it as a UAV or convert it and put a cockpit on it?  I guess it is plenty big enough to carry troops with a small amount of conversion...

Offline fog99uk

• Archheretic
    • View Profile
    • Project Log Blog
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2009, 11:05:25 PM »
I will need to convert it by adding a cockpit. I won't be adding a passenger compartment as it is just going to be a pure heavy gunship.