Author Topic: Things that make you happy  (Read 415068 times)

MightyAl

Re: Things that make you happy
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2009, 10:05:04 PM »
For another thing that makes me happy - getting to see a good football game. Living in Scotland as I do, there aren't tht many around.

Offline Jimmy

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2009, 01:03:22 PM »
New toys - purchased an airbrush compressor, tis a wonderful thing. now all i have to do is learn to airbrush! Had a couple of plays around trying to find mixes/pressures that suit me and so far im pleased.

Also - the weather is bringing out all the ladies - wont hear me complaining. Its not very often we get to enjoy it and you wont catch me wandering about with my eyes not peeled!  :lol:

Frontman

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2009, 12:44:12 AM »
Finding a great buy on Ebay.  I got 18 OLD (I'm talking 1985) Doctor Who miniatures for 30 bucks American with shipping.  That was a great find, and they arrived today. 

I said earlier getting a parcel in the post is always fun.  But when you know you got a great deal on said parcel, its a double enjoyment.

Offline lizcam

• Geek Chick
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2009, 01:18:23 AM »
I got my hasslefree stuff in the mail today!

You know how much I like Hasslefree?  I got Armorcast gun blasts from them and paid international shipping when I live in the same freaking state as Shawn RL who makes them.  How dedicated is that?

Frontman

« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2009, 02:10:17 AM »
I got my hasslefree stuff in the mail today!

You know how much I like Hasslefree?  I got Armorcast gun blasts from them and paid international shipping when I live in the same freaking state as Shawn RL who makes them.  How dedicated is that?

Dedicated.  I need to put together another HF order soon.  I love their stuff.

Offline Nosferatu

• Dark Lord
  • For Grek
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/nosferatu/
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2009, 03:54:38 AM »
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30289234&l=5e7f90fd55&id=1392125486
Like I said, an adventure

:lol: Cool, but that's no adventure!  This is an adventure :yup: :

Getting to see amasing sights in countries and cultures so very different from your own. Where the thrill is the challenge as well as the experience.

Spending days/weeks away from civilisation (and even roads) and really experiencing the landscape and all it holds. After days of trekking, climbing to the top of a 5000m plus pass and seeing the world stretched out before you:

Also the anticipation and associated fear/thrill of your next big adventure. ...10 weeks until I'll be in Bhutan trekking for 4 weeks!  :boing:

Receiving a parcel full of mini goodness from the other side of the world.

Getting into the mini painting groove where everything just works and you can spend a whole day on a project and wonder where the hours have gone (unfotunately this one is rare for me at the moment).

...and of course doing all that stuff with my wife (except the mini deliveries!  :angrywife::whistle:
Heron Island photos done! See blog...

Captain Sprout

« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2009, 04:30:43 PM »
Very nice shots Nosferatu..where is that? I love places that have few reference points to where you come from..that's happy travel.

I bet Bhutan will be amazing.

Other happiness..freesat, saving monthly sky fees having replaced broken Sky box and cancelled my sub (replaced Freesat in 10 minutes), more money for the lead pot!

Edit: Whoops, put an R on the end of Nosferatu making it look very odd.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 04:31:21 PM by Captain Sprout »

Offline hawkins

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • Evil? You have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2009, 04:33:12 PM »
2 cute widdle bunnies came home with the wife today, the kids are going nutz. its their first animals.

very happy day.
You PLAY with GARY every time you pick up the dice

helen bach

« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2009, 08:10:35 PM »
Finding out that I'm expecting the arrival of another pair of feet in the new year...

At the moment feeling a bit  :shock:  That and the heat is near killing me, no matter how scantlily clad I seem to be.

Frontman

« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2009, 09:08:31 PM »
Finding out that I'm expecting the arrival of another pair of feet in the new year...

At the moment feeling a bit  :shock:  That and the heat is near killing me, no matter how scantlily clad I seem to be.

Congrats.  Shock is part of the fun, though.

Offline PhilH

• Dark Lord
  • Well hello Mr Fancy Pants!
    • View Profile
    • Philscustomsculpts
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2009, 11:02:01 PM »
Just finished a Charity Cycle ride in aid for Help for Heroes, we cycled over 750 miles and raised over 9000. Now I can enjoy a nice cold beer and stop fretting about it. The overwhelming response from everyone we met was truly humbling and reaffirmed my faith in mankind.

Frontman

« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2009, 12:19:56 AM »
Just finished a Charity Cycle ride in aid for Help for Heroes, we cycled over 750 miles and raised over 9000. Now I can enjoy a nice cold beer and stop fretting about it. The overwhelming response from everyone we met was truly humbling and reaffirmed my faith in mankind.

We all don't get enough of those types of days.  Those are great things to hold onto; so that when days are not as good, you can close your eyes and remember that there are still GOOD people out there.

And for your efforts to Help for Heroes;  :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

:thumbup: :lalala: :applause: :boing:

Offline Nosferatu

• Dark Lord
  • For Grek
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/nosferatu/
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2009, 12:58:12 AM »
Very nice shots Nosferatu..where is that? I love places that have few reference points to where you come from..that's happy travel.
Those shots were taken last year while trekking in the Cordillera Huayhuash, Peru. The most beautiful place I've ever been. We spent 8 weeks in Peru and it was a life changing experience. Totally amasing place with so many contrasts: desert, the Andes, the Amazon jungle...

Cordillera Huayhuash is the home of Siula Grande (I think you can just see it in the photo above, it's behind the first mountain to the left of the one in the foreground ...sort of hidden a bit by cloud), where Joe Simpson had his big adventure, made famous by Touching The Void.

I bet Bhutan will be amazing.
:yup: 330km in 23 days of trekking, including 11 high passes (highest is 5320m). Apparently one of the hardest treks in the world!  :shock: ...should be a challenge anyway!

Lets just hope we acclimatise okay this time too. Altitude is the great unknown. That and the weather. If everything goes okay, it will be superb I'm sure. Not a cheap place to travel though...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 01:11:32 AM by Nosferatu »
Heron Island photos done! See blog...

Captain Sprout

« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2009, 08:47:42 PM »
Beautiful shots. It sounds fantastic. Hope you have a great time and share some pics here!

I've never been to South America, I've travelled round a lot of Russia and former Soviet Union countries including Mongolia and also been to many African countries, but I do fancy a trip to South America at some point. Altitude is a bugger, though most of my climbing has been comparatively low level, Mont Blanc, Eiger etc (doing the Matterhorn in September) its amazing what affect it can have, I trekked Kilimanjaro a few moons ago and it nearly finished me off!

Touching the void is an interesting book.

Just finished a Charity Cycle ride in aid for Help for Heroes, we cycled over 750 miles and raised over 9000

Great work Phil!

Frontman

« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2009, 02:32:47 AM »
Ok, since I just dumped a bit of bad in the piss you off thread; I wanted to post up something about what makes me happy.

The story of Kris.

Kris is the dear friend I mentioned in this picture:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30336687&l=304c8d4504&id=1392125486

Kris was that very first girlfriend I had that I would walk home from school.  Never anything serious; but was that first hand holding/give a quick kiss/give a bit of a bigger kiss  :oops: that sort of thing. 

I just was in high school, she was still in middle school.  We met during the summer on the age-group swim team.  I talked to her, because I thought she was someone else from the high school.  But we soon became friends; and I did my best to stammer over the offer to walk her home after practice.  Just two kids, the swim team, and a few block walk to her house. 

Well, she came from an UBER-strict family.  I mean, UBER-strict.  Stuff that would make your hair stand on end type stuff.  To the point we were not even allowed to be friends once they learned who I was; much less boyfriend/girlfriend.  Forced to attend a different school, couldn't attend dances, parents hung a shotgun up the night they both met me; the whole smack. 

And we both wanted to remain friends; but just impossible with that level of control.  It just was amazing to see a parent who would keep someone from even being a friend; albeit that I was just a touch older than her.  But when you couldn't even call; or when she was forced to quit the swim team because of the mere chance a boy *might* take notice?  It would be those moments of if you could 'save' someone by running away and joining the circus type situations.  We joke now that both of us would of made lousy trapezee artists; so good thing we never tried.....   

Anyways.  Fast forward.  We kept bumping into each other throughout our lives.  When I returned home from college, I attended a junior college as I wasn't certain as to what to do next in life.  I sat down in a class....right next to her, and did not know it was her when I did.  Immediately we became study partners; and got through that horrid class!

We lost touch again for a handful of years, as I had already met the woman who would one day be my wife and she met the man who became her husband; and just was the life of 20 something year olds.  After those uber-strict years; it did not once occur to either of us to try and 'date' to see what we missed due to being kids.  We realized the friend part was far more enjoyable!  But, as life takes you in many directions, we weren't on the same path once again.

Fast forward again.  The day after she got married?  She walked right into where I worked; not knowing I worked there, and once again got the moment. 

That was a great day; as obviously she 'got out' from under her parents iron rule and was leading a life she so deserved and those prayers that might of seemed silly  'please Lord, give Kris the best life you can, she deserves better than what she's been given so far' paid off.  When I drove home from work that evening, I was all smiles knowing that she got a great man (who, bless him, got picked up in a bear hug by some crazy Irishman....wait, that was me who picked him up.) 

We planned on keeping in touch, as it was awesome to not only meet who was now her husband; but I did get to introduce her to my fiance who was working there as well.  But this was early/mid 90's, so the idea of email/IM/chat/facebook just wasn't in the lexicon of the everyday person.  I soon left that place of employment; and she was unable to track me down.  (Her husband was in the military; so keeping up with her was impossible as she kept moving as he was re-stationed.)

So, as the internet got bigger, the world got smaller.  Turns out both of us were doing a bit of digging; getting old email addresses (mostly mine from former employers) and what not.  We then come to two weeks before this past Christmas.

And this little thing called "Facebook."

And I get from her a message after seeing if she would remember me; and would she like to stay in touch this time.  She most certainly did.  She's now a mom of 3, her husband is now ex-military; and she's living a great life.  And I haven't been that much of a slouch in the life department either, it turned out!  I'll tell all of you something; she has become one of those dear friends that we get in life.  It's that friendship that goes beyond just hanging out, to the point you consider them family.

As the song goes, "Friends come and go; its the special few you need to hold onto."  I regretted we didn't stay in touch; as we both missed out on a lot of each others lives.  But, Kris put it to me when I said I'm sorry we didn't stay friends.

"Tim, we've always been friends.  Our friendship was just on pause until we could get back to it."

When things have gotten tough for either of us; the other one not only knows but knows exactly the right time to call or send an email or a facebook joke or whatever.  We've spent countless hours talking; when she came back home to Illinois this spring, our children played together (and Kris and I both had one of those awesome moments, seeing her daughter hold my son's hand.)  And we both have two AMAZING spouses who put up with the hours of chat, the laughs and jokes that nobody else gets, and that when we've had bad moments, both spouses have suggested "Maybe you should give Tim/Kris a call and just be silly for an hour or two." 

And when I've had days like I had today (see the commentary about being stiffed for a full month on back pay in the PO thread) I know that the next time I get to chat with Kris, its going to make that level of stress seem so damn trivial and that the good things in life, like friendship, and walks, and laughter outweigh those stressful, frustrating, and sometimes dark moments in life.

One regret still I had is that due to her parents; I never took her to a dance.  Not even a simple Friday night 'open gym' music night at the high school and had one dance.  And I like to dance.  Might even consider myself not half-bad at it.  And she never got to go to one, ever. 

But the beauty of a friendship that can be put on pause?  Is that, in mentioning that, the two of us look forward to the day that (if the opportunity doesn't arise before then) that at the first wedding of one of our collective four kids (and Good Lord, if its my boy?  I'm going to be a bit concerned, as he's the youngest of the four!) we're going to finally have a dance as two great friends.

Ok, I don't know if this makes up for my four or five "complain about life" posts.  I don't think it needs to.  But just remember; when life seems to keep kicking you right between the legs in 'Mr. Happy' gentlemen (ladies, think about it....ok, you got what I'm saying   :wink: ) just close your eyes.  Think about that one friend you've got that that you, without a second thought, would walk through fire for; and vice versa.  Might even make a point of calling or emailing or chatting with that person. 

If a man's worth can be measured by those he calls friend; I know I'm a rich man, as I might not be Mr. Popularity come the 20 year reunion.

But I've got a handful of friends like Kris who not only will I walk through anything for; but they have and will do the same for me.

Hope this brings a smile to someone's face or it makes you count the blessings your been given.  And if it did; then mission accomplished.

Smile everyone; as the same song said, "Dance.  Even if you have no place else to do it, except your own living room.  Read the directions, even if you don't follow them."

:smile:

greenstuff_gav

« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2009, 06:43:12 AM »
Getting to see amazing sights in countries and cultures so very different from your own.

this i agree with :) the "far from civilisation" bit not so much  :whistle:

Geckilian

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2009, 01:03:38 PM »
Certain things that arrive in the post.... gah, MUST PAINT.

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • M.E. is NOT a figment of my imagination
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2009, 04:13:37 PM »
funny things with babies in them.  a new Evian ad doing the rounds on You tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PHnRIn74Ag
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

most mornings i wake up grumpy.   sometimes i just let him sleep.

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2009, 04:37:24 PM »
sally... do you and kev not speak to each other? http://forum-of-doom.com/index.php?topic=439.msg185605#msg185605

;)

"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline gi6ers

• Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • Clatto Verata N... Necktie
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2009, 04:38:39 PM »

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2009, 04:41:50 PM »
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline libertee

• Extreme multi-tasker
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • M.E. is NOT a figment of my imagination
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2009, 07:11:51 PM »
sally... do you and kev not speak to each other? http://forum-of-doom.com/index.php?topic=439.msg185605#msg185605

;)

yup...must be a case of 'great minds think alike'
A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather & ask for it back when it starts to rain. 

most mornings i wake up grumpy.   sometimes i just let him sleep.

my life consists of brief snatched moments of living my life hidden deep among chaos, confusion& the  going crazy, every night i go to sleep filled with hope & enthusiasm for the new day coming.  then i wake up & think "here I go again" & just aim to survive.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2009, 10:29:22 PM »
yup...must be a case of 'great minds think alike'

cough cough... fools seldom... cough cough

Offline hawkins

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • Evil? You have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2009, 07:46:47 AM »

At the moment feeling a bit  :shock:  That and the heat is near killing me, no matter how scantlily clad I seem to be.

Congradulations!!!
 :lalala: :applause:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:47:58 AM by hawkins »
You PLAY with GARY every time you pick up the dice

Offline weareblind

• Heavy Metal or no Metal at all
  • Mighty Fallen One
  • We are blind to the world within us
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2009, 08:30:27 AM »

A new drummer is arriving! Congratulations!  :applause:
We are blind to the world within us