Author Topic: Things that make you happy  (Read 415097 times)

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
Re: Things that make you happy
« Reply #200 on: October 19, 2009, 09:29:30 AM »
Not having a school reunion... ever... is something that constantly fills me with joy...
:lol: Same here.
I attended once, big mistake. They were just... alien. Brought back memories... never again!

I never enjoyed high-school.

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2009, 09:42:31 AM »
I never enjoyed high-school.

I was always in the geeky crowd at school, so most of the rest of the people I went to school with looked down their noses at us. Those of my friends that I kept in touch with after school decided to believe the lies my ex-wife told everyone when we split up and don't seem to want to reply to my emails now.
In the war-torn darkness of the future, there is only Grymn.

Deep Space Nine: Officially not as good as Stargate.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Bodhi

« Reply #202 on: October 19, 2009, 12:24:29 PM »
Me I'm just generally allergic to nostalgia. Burn all bridges and move on is more my kind of thing.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #203 on: October 19, 2009, 12:39:53 PM »
The day i can afford to hire an Aston Martin DB9 and I have kate beckinsale for a date i'll go back to a school reunion.

unfortunately one of those aspirations is more real than the other.
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline weareblind

• Heavy Metal or no Metal at all
  • Mighty Fallen One
  • We are blind to the world within us
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 19, 2009, 01:11:01 PM »
Me I'm just generally allergic to nostalgia. Burn all bridges and move on is more my kind of thing.
Me too
"Burn the bridge behind you
leave no retreat"
We are blind to the world within us

Offline Chris_M

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 19, 2009, 02:22:57 PM »
The day i can afford to hire an Aston Martin DB9 and I have kate beckinsale for a date i'll go back to a school reunion.

And considering Ms Beckinsale's married...

Personally, it'd be the day I owned Aston Martin itself for a school reunion.

University though - either my course or the American Football team - that'll be more like the day they announce it for will be the day I'm there. :silly

And Kev, think of it this way, if they don't want to talk to you, that's their loss, not yours.

Offline Ajsalium

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #206 on: October 19, 2009, 03:02:44 PM »

You're a man of fine taste, sir. :thumbup:
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #207 on: October 19, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »

And considering Ms Beckinsale's married...

So am I, but Mrs Brandlin and I have an understanding regarding Kate and George Clooney, Jude Law, Johnny Depp and Colin Farrel... in fact I think that also includes Pierce Brosnan and should they invent rejuvenation Sean Connery too.

Actually, thinking about it, I seem to have the bad end of that deal...
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

greenstuff_gav

« Reply #208 on: October 19, 2009, 04:48:48 PM »

this is The Closest I've Been To Any Astin.. my cousin went to the end-of-school-disco (i refuse to call it a Prom!) in this baby :D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 04:49:29 PM by greenstuff_gav »

Frontman

« Reply #209 on: October 19, 2009, 10:19:57 PM »
Last time I share anything positive.  Wow.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #210 on: October 19, 2009, 11:32:35 PM »

this is The Closest I've Been To Any Astin.. my cousin went to the end-of-school-disco (i refuse to call it a Prom!) in this baby :D
I was lucky enough to work for AM for 6 months whilst doing my masters degree... got to drive a few prototypes and other fun stuff... made it a life aim to own one.  It's not going well.

MightyAl

« Reply #211 on: October 20, 2009, 12:53:33 AM »

I was lucky enough to work for AM for 6 months whilst doing my masters degree... got to drive a few prototypes and other fun stuff... made it a life aim to own one.  It's not going well.
Euro Millions jackpot is supposed to be 50m this week...

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #212 on: October 20, 2009, 02:38:55 AM »
50m wouldn't keep it in petrol and tires for a year... :(

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #213 on: October 20, 2009, 07:14:05 AM »

I think school reunions are a Marmite thing...some people really enjoy them and the nostalgia they bring, other people can't stand them.

I'm glad you enjoyed your reunion and that you got to meet who you wanted to from your school days :mrgreen: .

Don't get disheartened...it's just the subject matter is a bit bi-polar.
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #214 on: October 20, 2009, 09:14:33 AM »

Sorry. I didn't mean to take anything away from your positive experience.
In the war-torn darkness of the future, there is only Grymn.

Deep Space Nine: Officially not as good as Stargate.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #215 on: October 20, 2009, 09:48:46 AM »
I'm sorry, too. Hot-button topic. But my response was totally out of line in a "feels-happy" thread. My apologies.

Frontman

« Reply #216 on: October 20, 2009, 11:08:22 PM »
Glad you guys saw it was a bit much.  Things that make someone happy shouldn't be the subject of negativity.  I mean, for some being home with their spouse snuggling and watching a movie might be the joy of joys; but then again, if my wife was trying to make me watch "Pretty Woman" that would be sheer horror.  ;)

No harm, no foul guys.  I had a blast. 

Good times were had by all; and it just was great to see old faces.  I wasn't popular in high school, and the friends I had then I did keep in touch with many of them; but to see some people I haven't seen in 20 years come up and give a hug and not let go?

That's one of those moments that you'll hold onto forever.

exilesjjb

« Reply #217 on: October 21, 2009, 05:01:03 AM »
what makes me happy is getting home after a nightshift and being greeted by 2 happy Scotties. Giving my wife her morning cup of tea and a kiss then heading out with my Scotties for a good long walk.
 Also painting figures I find it very zen like (daft I know but I feel that every time)

Bodhi

« Reply #218 on: October 21, 2009, 07:57:03 AM »
Glad you guys saw it was a bit much.  Things that make someone happy shouldn't be the subject of negativity.  I mean, for some being home with their spouse snuggling and watching a movie might be the joy of joys; but then again, if my wife was trying to make me watch "Pretty Woman" that would be sheer horror.  ;)

No harm, no foul guys.  I had a blast.  

Good times were had by all; and it just was great to see old faces.  I wasn't popular in high school, and the friends I had then I did keep in touch with many of them; but to see some people I haven't seen in 20 years come up and give a hug and not let go?

Yeah didn't mean to take anything from you either. In fact I've got a meeting set up with my main antagonist bully from school (at his request, he wants to make up for bad things he did in his childhood) and I'm kind of looking forward to that. The arrangers of it all are scriptwriters in fact doing research for a thriller in which a bully doing that same thing is murdered by one of his old victims... No risk of that in this case though  :wink: I think the meeting will be much harder for him than for me.

For zen-like experiences I go scubadiving. I do my daily forty minutes of zazen (mostly out of habit) but really the real zenexperiences come from diving. Not sculpting though, that's more like constant problemsolving and - even though I love it - not very zenlike but quite quite stressing.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:02:57 AM by Bodhi »

greenstuff_gav

« Reply #219 on: October 21, 2009, 08:08:39 AM »
what makes me happy is getting home after a nightshift

getting home from a nightshift to find good comments on a set of sculpts and a couple of commissions  :lalala:

MightyAl

« Reply #220 on: October 21, 2009, 10:05:36 AM »
My dad turns 60 today, so no more worrying what to get him for his birthday(this year)!

Frontman

« Reply #221 on: October 21, 2009, 01:22:42 PM »
Glad you guys saw it was a bit much.  Things that make someone happy shouldn't be the subject of negativity.  I mean, for some being home with their spouse snuggling and watching a movie might be the joy of joys; but then again, if my wife was trying to make me watch "Pretty Woman" that would be sheer horror.  ;)

No harm, no foul guys.  I had a blast.  

Good times were had by all; and it just was great to see old faces.  I wasn't popular in high school, and the friends I had then I did keep in touch with many of them; but to see some people I haven't seen in 20 years come up and give a hug and not let go?

Yeah didn't mean to take anything from you either. In fact I've got a meeting set up with my main antagonist bully from school (at his request, he wants to make up for bad things he did in his childhood) and I'm kind of looking forward to that. The arrangers of it all are scriptwriters in fact doing research for a thriller in which a bully doing that same thing is murdered by one of his old victims... No risk of that in this case though  :wink: I think the meeting will be much harder for him than for me.

For zen-like experiences I go scubadiving. I do my daily forty minutes of zazen (mostly out of habit) but really the real zenexperiences come from diving. Not sculpting though, that's more like constant problemsolving and - even though I love it - not very zenlike but quite quite stressing.

Well, think about it this way (as I had my share of bullies throughout my education plying their beatdowns on me.)

Do you really think after 20 years that a: they might be the same way?  (and sadly, some are still raging red rectums) and b: if they were still the same way, they'd risk jail time to beat you up now?

Nah, the folks I didn't get along with then, by and large; were all around the bar.  The people who were there to have a good time and not just drink mingled and talked and laughed (and cried.  We've lost 5 fellow students since 1989.)  But for the most part, it was all just good times and good company.

hatherley

« Reply #222 on: October 21, 2009, 09:09:17 PM »
Seeing my last mortgage instalment leave my bank account this month! :boing:
That's a nice little monthly amount by which I'll be better off from November!
Plus the house is now all mine! :thumbup:

Offline DRAGON

• LORD OF WHITE METAL MOUNTAIN
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 21, 2009, 09:42:04 PM »
Getting a new computer built and apparently I should be able to control a shuttle mission with it ! Far more powerful than I actually need but it is a really good price...............  :whistle:
Only problem is I have to wait until January  :tantrum:
Heaven doesn't want me. Hell is afraid i will take over !
OFFICIAL WINNER UDOD 2012
Minis painted this year (2013) : Too few !
Heresy Dragon - paint in progress - coming soon... seriously !

http://foddragon.mybrute.com

Frontman

« Reply #224 on: October 21, 2009, 09:53:54 PM »
Seeing my last mortgage instalment leave my bank account this month! :boing:
That's a nice little monthly amount by which I'll be better off from November!
Plus the house is now all mine! :thumbup:

This is one of my favorites, bar none.  As many times, when the title and paperwork is finalized, the lending institution sends it out certified; so the customer has to sign for it.  I get such a buzz when that person signs for the envelope, and I get to hand it to them.  The final step in a long investment that a person makes, and I get to be the one to hand them the deed as it were.