Author Topic: Things that make you happy  (Read 415087 times)

Offline PhilH

• Dark Lord
  • Well hello Mr Fancy Pants!
    • View Profile
    • Philscustomsculpts
Re: Things that make you happy
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2009, 08:48:59 AM »
What makes me happy? Writing my blog. Today I typed in a review of the book Zombie CSU by Jonathan Maberry. It was, I thought, the best book about zombies I have ever read (and I've read a lot). Imagine my surprise and delight when I got a reply from Jonathan thanking me for my enthusiastic review. I'm walking on cloud nine now with a huge grin on my face!  :D

That's great news I enjoyed your review of the book, but to get praise from the author is excellent.

i cooked a nice rolled pork roast. the crackling stayed awfully soggy so i blasted it and then i came up beautifully. and the gravy was lush

I'm very envious now, you can't beat Roast Pork with Crackling. :drool:

Offline freakinacage

• heretic and heathen
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2009, 06:23:28 PM »
oh yeah it was lush. i had bread to mop up the gravy too but i had gone off. gutted. still i had a gu choc souffle after so i survived!

Offline Martini Henrie

• Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 01, 2009, 03:04:36 PM »
Looking on Autotrader for a replacement car (not that I have any real money to spend)  :lmao:
Innocence proves Nothing

Darknight

« Reply #153 on: September 01, 2009, 03:13:21 PM »
Discovering on a 10 hour car trip to Des Moines that my boss had remembered the AC alternator, so I could run my laptop from the cigarette lighter. Much video game action ahoy as we moved through the oceans of corn in the breadbasket . . . .

Offline ballistic_bro

• Dark Lord
  • Do I need to say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 02, 2009, 12:06:02 AM »
My five month-old son learning to splash water in the bath, and REALLY enjoying it. Aaaah, simple pleasures! :lalala: :smile:
There's one thing you never put in a trap, if you're smart.
If you have any plans about seeing tomorrow,
there's one thing you never ever put in a trap,
me...........

Dr Who (2010)

Offline DRAGON

• LORD OF WHITE METAL MOUNTAIN
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 02, 2009, 08:21:16 PM »
Talking of splashing water ............... Anglian water have finally fixed the water leak outside my house !  :boing:
Heaven doesn't want me. Hell is afraid i will take over !
OFFICIAL WINNER UDOD 2012
Minis painted this year (2013) : Too few !
Heresy Dragon - paint in progress - coming soon... seriously !

http://foddragon.mybrute.com

Darknight

« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2009, 11:26:56 PM »
So no more lake? Awww - I thought you were going to be able to offer swimming and water skiing soon!

)(ENOLOGY

« Reply #157 on: September 03, 2009, 01:35:43 AM »
Grads' all-nighter. Eye-brow shaving ahoy! Zip-zip! Serves them right for getting drunk and falling asleep at our grade's party.

Good to hear, DRAGON! Your house might have sank 5 feet afterwards :lol:.

MightyAl

« Reply #158 on: September 03, 2009, 06:52:50 PM »
Getting the chance to air one of my really God-awful shirts on my mates stag do this weekend.

Frontman

« Reply #159 on: September 05, 2009, 01:43:41 AM »
Getting the confirmation call that my copy of Space Hulk can be picked up tomorrow morning.

:boing: :boing:

Darknight

« Reply #160 on: September 05, 2009, 01:50:26 AM »
Remember, Frontman : Pics or it didn't happen! :)

Frontman

« Reply #161 on: September 05, 2009, 02:20:30 AM »
Remember, Frontman : Pics or it didn't happen! :)

LOL.  Some Stateside posters on another forum were saying folks already were getting them from GW stores.  I checked with my local one; and the salesperson (who always shoots straight with me) said, "Not out of our store.  If someone else is doing it, that could be major trouble.  But yours is here, name on the lid."

Darknight

« Reply #162 on: September 05, 2009, 02:43:22 AM »
I worked with the infamous (at least within GW itself) individual who was sued, fired, banned, and possibly tarred and feathered for giving away stuff before it was supposed to be released ... including LotR stuff! So, yeah - your GW guy is correct. He would be in serious trouble if he handed stuff out early.

Offline freakinacage

• heretic and heathen
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 05, 2009, 10:35:03 AM »
i got my space hulk on the 3rd. wasn't too happy though as i was woken up at 0720 on the only day when i had a lie in. couldn't get back to sleep then!!!

greenstuff_gav

« Reply #164 on: September 05, 2009, 12:11:58 PM »
i got my space hulk on the 3rd. wasn't too happy though as i was woken up at 0720 on the only day when i had a lie in. couldn't get back to sleep then!!!
:metoo:

)(ENOLOGY

« Reply #165 on: September 06, 2009, 05:09:22 AM »
I worked with the infamous (at least within GW itself) individual who was sued, fired, banned, and possibly tarred and feathered for giving away stuff before it was supposed to be released ... including LotR stuff! So, yeah - your GW guy is correct. He would be in serious trouble if he handed stuff out early.

Like that stopped us -- :paranoid:. Had mine since the 1st anyhoo.

Frontman

« Reply #166 on: September 06, 2009, 05:20:43 AM »
For being one of the larger suburbs in the 3rd largest city in the US; Orland Park only has the GW store itself, and then Hobby Town USA (which is more RC cars and what not than an actual game store.)

It's a tad frustrating, to say the least.

But, I'm happy that dinner got done in enough time for me to get over to the store, exchange the defective/used can of primer and get a crackin'.

MightyAl

« Reply #167 on: September 06, 2009, 03:36:40 PM »
Got through a friend's stag do without major mishaps.
Probably also happy that I won't be through the doors of another lap dancing joint for a good long time.

Frontman

« Reply #168 on: September 06, 2009, 11:28:33 PM »
Just one simple phrase:

Mastering the airbrush.

Well, ok, mastery is a bit much of an overstatement; BUT, I got an airbrush like 10 years ago as a Christmas present from my brother.  Every time I try to get it to work on projects; I usually wind up far too frustrated and go back to the standard bristle way of doing things.

Now, with the new Space Hulk, I wanted my terminators to rock hard.  I get decent results the old brushworks; but I wanted to keep as much of the detail there so when I go to highlight and well, detail the models I wasn't working over a few thick layers of red.

And I can't stand painting 3 and 4 uber-thin layers, especially in red.

So, airbrush in hand; I kept working on it until I got the mix right, the firing right.

And a very sweet looking red basecoat.

Boo-to-the-yah!!!

:boing:

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 07, 2009, 04:42:37 AM »
so where are the pics? :smile:

Frontman

« Reply #170 on: September 07, 2009, 01:39:11 PM »
so where are the pics? :smile:

You want a pic of my airbrush?

It looks like that.  Nothing to write home about.

OOooooh, you meant the miniatures.  Well, let me get more than just a basecoat done.  Simple pleasures for simple minds; but yes, I can crow about getting an airbrush to basecoat.  I swear to you, that....spawn of Satan known as my airbrush must of hated me for years.  It even stabbed me once when I was cleaning it after a failed attempt to use it in 2003. 

But, it worked this time like a charm.  Maybe it wants to play Space Hulk too.

Offline Ajsalium

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #171 on: September 07, 2009, 02:45:15 PM »
Since you've began to use it, you should learn how to use it for more than basecoating. You can't paint everything with it (details, etc, have to be brushed), but as far as I know an airbrush can take care of general shading-highlighting.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Frontman

« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »
Since you've began to use it, you should learn how to use it for more than basecoating. You can't paint everything with it (details, etc, have to be brushed), but as far as I know an airbrush can take care of general shading-highlighting.

Yeah, I know it can be used for washing and shading; but I was low on dark red ink and did not want to waste it experimenting. 

I haven't heard or seen examples of airbrushed highlighting, but it does make sense.  I guess its even further away from the surface/airbrush 'above the model' as it were.

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #173 on: September 07, 2009, 06:14:52 PM »
highlighting is possible but may be beyond your badger airbrush. you need a very fine controllable needle setup.

My brush will do it, but i can't...!

as to shading - you can do that with the airbrush and using a lot less ink or wash than you would use with a brush if you get the control right
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

)(ENOLOGY

« Reply #174 on: September 07, 2009, 11:20:28 PM »
The Grads' All-Nighter coming up later today. Eye-brow shaving for any fool who gets drunk and falls asleep while I'm around. :twisted:

It should be fun. :D