Author Topic: Things that make you happy  (Read 417229 times)

Frontman

Re: Things that make you happy
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2009, 11:14:11 PM »
Here's one from the simple file:

Getting a full week of work.  I haven't worked a full 40 hour week all summer.  Woot!!!! :boing: :boing:

Offline gi6ers

• Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • Clatto Verata N... Necktie
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 31, 2009, 10:07:14 AM »
coming home this week and finding that my son has started walking and then him saying bye bye when I left for work the next morning.  I did shed a happy and proud little tear.

Frontman

« Reply #127 on: July 31, 2009, 04:38:09 PM »
coming home this week and finding that my son has started walking and then him saying bye bye when I left for work the next morning.  I did shed a happy and proud little tear.

They are so wonderful when they do those little things. 

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2009, 10:02:21 PM »
Yeah I agree with that too. My little boy has just learned to wave and clap.

Offline The Commissar

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 01, 2009, 01:30:31 AM »
First pay day in a new job - especially when you get a tax rebate as well. Especially when you are in your 40's, have only ever worked for one organisation before and whilst you were unemployed it loked like you were probably past it with no chance of getting a new job.

(and to top it all enjoying what you do now and realising it was only fear that held you back in the past)
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #130 on: August 01, 2009, 01:54:12 AM »
 :metoo:

I know exactly how you feel, Commissar. I was in exactly the same situation in April this year. Congrats.

Offline Chris_M

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2009, 11:46:44 AM »
It's very nearly the start of the football season. :boing:

And it's only one month to the start of the NFL season as well.

helen bach

« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2009, 08:27:56 PM »
Arranging to see a new(ish) and soon to be nearly favourite - at least for this month - rock band for the measly sum of £8.  :band:

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2009, 08:49:07 PM »
Being back in England again...lovely :mrgreen:.
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2009, 02:47:51 AM »
My new computer that has a Terrabyte of hard drive space, and thats just the start (and then returning after being in town and leaving the house wide open and finding it is still there :oops:)

Frontman

« Reply #135 on: August 09, 2009, 07:56:30 PM »
Guys, I have the most awesome wife a guy like me could have.

Not only does she put up with the gaming stuff.

Not only does she support me in everything I try and do.

But, in 90 degree heat (approx. 35* Celcius) and 75% humidity she stood for two hours (with our six year old) to get Ozzie Gullien's autograph on a 2005 World Series baseball for me.

Now, for those who don't understand why this would mean that much to me; my favorite baseball team is the Chicago White Sox.  I grew up less than a mile (less than 2K) from the Sox ballpark.  We would walk over from our house to ballgames, and when the Sox would hit home runs, we would run to the backyard to see the fireworks go off.  My grandfather, who my son is named after, was a Sox fan.  My Dad was a Sox fan.  Both of them died prior to 2005 World Series.  It had been since 1959 since the Sox even went to a World Series (which they lost) and hadn't one won since 1918.  It was 88 years without winning the World championship.

Ozzie Gullien played for the White Sox, starting in 1985.  By grandpa got to see him play that season, which he won Rookie of the Year.  My grandad saw him and thought he would go onto to do something great for the White Sox; thinking it would be as a player.  Sadly, Ozzie did not do that as a player, but in 2004 he was hired to manage the White Sox.  In 2005, Ozzie led the White Sox as their manager in first place, wire to wire (meaning over the course of the entire season they were in first in their division) through the playoffs, all the way to winning the Title, losing only once in the post season.  And I sat, with my son on my lap; and watched the final inning end the 88 year drought without a world title.

Ozzie will always have a special place now in Chicago sports history; and as a guy who grew up as a Sox fan? 

He's definitely on my list of guys I wanted an autograph from.  So, now on my entertainment center sits the ball that I've had since 2005, waiting to get his autograph; and it was finally signed because of my loving and dear wife.

Man, is that a great thing to have.  And I'm not talking the ball.

Offline weareblind

• Heavy Metal or no Metal at all
  • Mighty Fallen One
  • We are blind to the world within us
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 10, 2009, 09:47:13 AM »
Here we have a proverb: to act like St Thomas. Than means: to control everything. Now, 3 months ago I asked to my mother and wife to control if my wife, after her voluntary resignation, can demand an unemployment benefit. The answer was: not at all!
Well, Saturday I've controlled and, MIRACLE!, mothers and fathers during the first year of life of a newborn children may resign AND they will be treated as they're been laid off. So, tomorrow I will present my request at the local office in Como (my city), for 8 months of wage. Circa 9.000 euro.
AH, THESE WOMEN!!
We are blind to the world within us

Frontman

« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2009, 01:07:19 AM »
Ok,

First, today (August 20th) is my birthday.  So, you'd think that would always be a happy day; BUT, here's a little secret.

For most of my life?  I hated my birthday.  And I'm not talking once I got older, no no.  I hated it from like age 8 on.  Thing of it was, first off, my birthday fell as the last of us three kids in my family.  And being the oldest, of course I had to be the most 'understanding' in being patient for mine when the other two had theirs (which wasn't an issue.)  But what was an issue is that, like many of us gamers, I was never one who could be accused of being popular.  Far from it.  But one year, my Mom threw a huge birthday party, invited a bunch of kids from my class (I was in 1st grade, going into second, so say 7/8 years old) and had the whole house done up with decorations, hats, all of it.  Come the party?

Not a single kid came.  And I'm not kidding, NONE of the invited kids came.  You want to talk about being embarrassed?  Your family all are there, and the only other kids there are your brother and your cousin.

To say the least, I was devastated.  Completely.  I cried the rest of the day.  And once my parents separated, (a few years later) Mom had to work a ton; so I never really had much of a birthday of my own, as it got combined with my two siblings to save money.  [Note, this isn't "I hate my Mom for doing it, far from it.  Even then I understood we were trying to survive, but still doesn't change the fact that you don't get your 'own' birthday.]  That trend did not change when I got married, as my wife shares my birthday with me.  Yep, 13 hours apart.  But as a kid, since birthdays were shared, and with mine coming at the end of the month, the combi-party was usually earlier in the month and I spent most of my birthdays by myself.  It just grew to become just another day; I just was no longer one age and became the next age.

Ok, fast forward to high school and my friend Kris I've told you about (who was a girlfriend when we were kids.)  Anyways.  She found out when my birthday was; and I was turning 14 that year.  And I had told her how much I grew to hate it, and that it just was another day, no more, no less.  Well, she wouldn't stand for that.  So, she baked a batch of cookies, put them in a Yahtzee game box, tied it with white string, then rode in August heat (which was I think in the 90's that particular day) from her house to mine, which was roughly 5 miles one way and gave me the cookies.

Now, this was the first time any other kid did A THING for my birthday.  I have remembered that, every year on my birthday since.  It was an act of kindness that I hadn't experienced from another kid who wasn't related for my birthday.  Heck, maybe that's why I then thought I kinda liked her.   :oops:  But its these simple things that makes the difference in a person's life.

So, how does this relate to today?  I get back from delivering my route; and walk over to my work station.  There, sitting on the ledge, (yep, you guessed it) was an express mail package:

In a Yahtzee game box.  The supervisor on duty wanted me to explain what was so special in a yahtzee box that someone was willing to ship it express mail.  I said, "a good friend sent me that."

I don't know how more simple of a gesture that can show how much a friend loves you; like getting a box filled with cookies, just because.

Thanks Kris.  You're the best friend a guy could ever ask for.

For my best friend; and for how great of a day a birthday can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hihMJ8Gm-Wg

MightyAl

« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2009, 02:40:32 AM »
Ok,

First, today (August 20th) is my birthday.  So, you'd think that would always be a happy day; BUT, here's a little secret.

For most of my life?  I hated my birthday.  And I'm not talking once I got older, no no.  I hated it from like age 8 on.  Thing of it was, first off, my birthday fell as the last of us three kids in my family.  And being the oldest, of course I had to be the most 'understanding' in being patient for mine when the other two had theirs (which wasn't an issue.)  But what was an issue is that, like many of us gamers, I was never one who could be accused of being popular.  Far from it.  But one year, my Mom threw a huge birthday party, invited a bunch of kids from my class (I was in 1st grade, going into second, so say 7/8 years old) and had the whole house done up with decorations, hats, all of it.  Come the party?

Not a single kid came.  And I'm not kidding, NONE of the invited kids came.  You want to talk about being embarrassed?  Your family all are there, and the only other kids there are your brother and your cousin.

To say the least, I was devastated.  Completely.  I cried the rest of the day.  And once my parents separated, (a few years later) Mom had to work a ton; so I never really had much of a birthday of my own, as it got combined with my two siblings to save money.  [Note, this isn't "I hate my Mom for doing it, far from it.  Even then I understood we were trying to survive, but still doesn't change the fact that you don't get your 'own' birthday.]  That trend did not change when I got married, as my wife shares my birthday with me.  Yep, 13 hours apart.  But as a kid, since birthdays were shared, and with mine coming at the end of the month, the combi-party was usually earlier in the month and I spent most of my birthdays by myself.  It just grew to become just another day; I just was no longer one age and became the next age.

Ok, fast forward to high school and my friend Kris I've told you about (who was a girlfriend when we were kids.)  Anyways.  She found out when my birthday was; and I was turning 14 that year.  And I had told her how much I grew to hate it, and that it just was another day, no more, no less.  Well, she wouldn't stand for that.  So, she baked a batch of cookies, put them in a Yahtzee game box, tied it with white string, then rode in August heat (which was I think in the 90's that particular day) from her house to mine, which was roughly 5 miles one way and gave me the cookies.

Now, this was the first time any other kid did A THING for my birthday.  I have remembered that, every year on my birthday since.  It was an act of kindness that I hadn't experienced from another kid who wasn't related for my birthday.  Heck, maybe that's why I then thought I kinda liked her.   :oops:  But its these simple things that makes the difference in a person's life.

So, how does this relate to today?  I get back from delivering my route; and walk over to my work station.  There, sitting on the ledge, (yep, you guessed it) was an express mail package:

In a Yahtzee game box.  The supervisor on duty wanted me to explain what was so special in a yahtzee box that someone was willing to ship it express mail.  I said, "a good friend sent me that."

I don't know how more simple of a gesture that can show how much a friend loves you; like getting a box filled with cookies, just because.

Thanks Kris.  You're the best friend a guy could ever ask for.

For my best friend; and for how great of a day a birthday can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hihMJ8Gm-Wg
I realise it's a bit late, but happy birthday. Have some cake.

Frontman

« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2009, 03:05:37 AM »
I realise it's a bit late, but happy birthday. Have some cake.

It's only 8pm here in the States; so cake is good.  Thanks!  (And that's an awesome looking cake.)

Darknight

« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2009, 03:20:21 AM »
Happy birthday, Frontman! Happy birthday even though your are out west in the Mountains! :)

Frontman

« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2009, 03:33:40 AM »
Happy birthday, Frontman! Happy birthday even though your are out west in the Mountains! :)

Actually CST; but I figured it was closer to 8:30 when I posted that it really was.

Darknight

« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2009, 12:30:34 PM »
Ah, a Plains boy! No wonder your wife is so wonderful!

Offline weareblind

• Heavy Metal or no Metal at all
  • Mighty Fallen One
  • We are blind to the world within us
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2009, 02:01:21 PM »
:metoo: :applause: :applause:
We are blind to the world within us

Hubert

« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2009, 12:20:48 PM »
Things that make me happy? Not much.... :lmao:
Cooking makes me happy. Finding out that what I've just made is edible, and not poisenous also helps.

After about 15 incredibly tense weeks of waiting, I found out my exam results today. The result(s)? I'm not doomed! :boing:
I also found I have 2 HF figures left to paint - I've been so worried about my exams I actually forgot I had them  :mesostupid: Looking forwards to painting them.

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2009, 01:03:51 PM »
I am happy!  I just received an order through from HF filled with lots of lovely minis...BUT ALSO...some special resin bits and pieces that I was really surprised to receive as a gift...and they were Grymn things :mrgreen:.  It's like getting a parcel and then getting another parcel as well...but all together in one parcel!  Sod Christmas, i don't need that any more :mrgreen:!
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Offline Hasslefriesian

• Likes to think he's an
  • Administrator
  • KEVINICUS - FIR MEIT
    • View Profile
    • http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk
« Reply #146 on: August 27, 2009, 02:11:15 PM »
So we're a happy bunny today? :whistle:
In the war-torn darkness of the future, there is only Grymn.

Deep Space Nine: Officially not as good as Stargate.

If you field an overwhelming force against a paltry number of defenders, whatever you do, make sure the defenders are not English!

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #147 on: August 27, 2009, 04:39:38 PM »
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

vampifan

« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2009, 05:36:18 PM »
What makes me happy? Writing my blog. Today I typed in a review of the book Zombie CSU by Jonathan Maberry. It was, I thought, the best book about zombies I have ever read (and I've read a lot). Imagine my surprise and delight when I got a reply from Jonathan thanking me for my enthusiastic review. I'm walking on cloud nine now with a huge grin on my face!  :D

Offline freakinacage

• heretic and heathen
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2009, 08:57:58 PM »
i cooked a nice rolled pork roast. the crackling stayed awfully soggy so i blasted it and then i came up beautifully. and the gravy was lush