Author Topic: My Very Very Favourite Dragons  (Read 21757 times)

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Heretic
    • View Profile
Re: My Very Very Favourite Dragons
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 10:58:42 PM »
I reckon a couple of dragons I've really liked (Rackham's Titan not withstanding because what's not to like?) are Reaper's Lavarath and the old Tom Meier Thunderbolt Mountain Gigantic Green Dragon. I can't really find a decent image of the green dragon but it has a very viper like head which I love.

I actually own both but haven't put either of them together let alone had a go at painting them.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:30:59 AM by Cait Sidhe »
Wargaming: call it what you want, they're still toy soldiers and you're still playing with them.

Offline Nosferatu

• Dark Lord
  • For Grek
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/nosferatu/
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 02:33:15 AM »
The spined dragon is certainly my favourite from Citadel, but I have both the Rackham dragons and they are both cool in their own way. The smaller, metal dragon with 2 legs is an awesome sculpt, and it's bigger resin brother is spectacular in both its size and the amount of detail on that thing.

My only problem with the R dragons is that I don't understand the logic of 2 legs on the small one and 4 on the big one!? What, they grow 2 more legs as they get bigger?  :scratchhead:

I think Andy's dragon has the potential of joining the greats. It has a lot of character and a great pose. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.
Heron Island photos done! See blog...

Offline Amazon warrior

• Minion
  • No one likes an untidy cheese....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 07:28:25 PM »
My only problem with the R dragons is that I don't understand the logic of 2 legs on the small one and 4 on the big one!? What, they grow 2 more legs as they get bigger?  :scratchhead:
It's something that's puzzled many, many people over the years.  I vaguely recall something in the fluff indicating that the dragons were mutated ophidians.  So perhaps they mutate more as they grow up?  Nah, still sounds silly.....

Offline weareblind

• Heavy Metal or no Metal at all
  • Mighty Fallen One
  • We are blind to the world within us
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 07:48:21 PM »
I think Andy's dragon has the potential of joining the greats. It has a lot of character and a great pose. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.
:whistle:
We are blind to the world within us

Offline caerban

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • The Dark Side of the Moomin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 10:03:55 PM »
@Vermis. I was taking a look at that grenadier dragon of the month black dragon you listed. Stylistically it looks very like the dragonlisk. I wonder if they're by the same sculptor and if they did anything else coz they're both really good.
"No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head."

Offline Avicenna

• Slave to Paint
  • Global Moderator
  • Fallen One
  • Dragon #39... The perils of rock 'n roll decadence
    • View Profile
    • The Jolly Bodgers
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 09:26:54 AM »

I think they are just 2 different types of dragon... ;)
-Peter
My new Blog: http://www.jollybodgers.com

"...you describe yourself as an amateur. Don't forget that word comes from the French, meaning "lover of".
In artistic endeavours the very best results come from those who love what they do, whether or not they get paid for it "
-Bewildered Badger '07

Offline Vermis

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Minisculpture
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 12:00:45 PM »
Caerban: I'm not sure meself.  The styles are a little different - some of the detail in the dragonlisk looks more subtle than the black dragon.  Going by the pics of other series 1 dragons and the occasional names with them, I'd guess the black dragon is by Andrew Chernak, and the dragonlisk looks similar in style to John Dennett's dragons.  Compare the forelimb of the brass dragon.  Also, the head and limbs of the bronze dragon. (No name but I'd guess it's John's.  Andrew's dragon limbs seem chunkier in style.)

'Course I could be way off and the dragonlisk is by a completely different sculptor.

I should've included that thing in my list.  It looks better each time I look at it.  Lookit all the tendons and wrinkles.  You wouldn't happen to have a second one...?
minisculpture.co.uk
DanG on greens:
...before it even gets put into production the response that starts with 'nice job' ends in 'now do another...'

Offline Big Boris

• aka Andy Foster, Heresy Miniatures Owner/Prisoner
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • Dragon Slayer. At last.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heresyminiatures.com
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 12:56:26 PM »
They'll never top Trogdor the Burninator!

(If you don't know what this is, go google Strongbad.)

Offline Ryan

• Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 01:42:15 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsiap4x66vo

found this on youtube about him  :blink:

Offline caerban

• Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 02:02:55 PM »
Caerban: I'm not sure meself.  The styles are a little different - some of the detail in the dragonlisk looks more subtle than the black dragon.  Going by the pics of other series 1 dragons and the occasional names with them, I'd guess the black dragon is by Andrew Chernak, and the dragonlisk looks similar in style to John Dennett's dragons.  Compare the forelimb of the brass dragon.  Also, the head and limbs of the bronze dragon. (No name but I'd guess it's John's.  Andrew's dragon limbs seem chunkier in style.)

'Course I could be way off and the dragonlisk is by a completely different sculptor.

I should've included that thing in my list.  It looks better each time I look at it.  Lookit all the tendons and wrinkles.  You wouldn't happen to have a second one...?

A bit of mooching on the internets leads me to believe that the dragonlisk is indeed a John Dennett. But I couldn't find owt on't black. I wish I had two, I'd paint them with different colour schemes, but alas not. It's still one of the most detailed dragon sculpts I've come across and the skin is really oddly textured but brilliant, it hangs like real lizard skin.
"No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head."

Offline Vermis

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Minisculpture
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 05:31:52 PM »

:lol: :D

Link-fu.

http://www.homestarrunner.com/
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

I wish I had two, I'd paint them with different colour schemes

But then I'd have to strip the one you sel... give to me.

skin is really oddly textured

Like octopus suckers, or trebor mints. :)
minisculpture.co.uk
DanG on greens:
...before it even gets put into production the response that starts with 'nice job' ends in 'now do another...'

Offline Nosferatu

• Dark Lord
  • For Grek
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pbase.com/nosferatu/
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2009, 01:30:06 AM »

I think they are just 2 different types of dragon... ;)

:lol: Well possibly, I guess, but there is nothing in the fluff about 2 types of dragons and all their other features are virtually identical?

Sorry, I know it's useless using logic with regard to fantasy creature anatomy, but I'm a logical type... I like to see consistency within the fantasy space, or inconsistency if it is explained. Fussy, I know!  :wink:
Heron Island photos done! See blog...

Offline a_thousand_hats

• Outrageously Optimistic
  • Chosen Heretic
  • Planning world domination on a budget of 12 pence
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 03:09:13 PM »

Just looked on youtube at a couple of the vids and it just made me choke on my coffee  :lmao: :cool:, never seen it before... verrry funny :D (cough, splutter choke... don't watch and drink at the same time if easily amused).
Once more to the breach my friends...

Offline freakinacage

• heretic and heathen
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2009, 06:10:35 PM »

i prefer albi the racist dragon:

Offline wskr

• Initiate of the Inner Dark Path
    • View Profile
    • http://botwt.wordpress.com/
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 10:29:14 PM »
Here is that finished Reaper Marthrangul model of mine...thing looks so much nicer in real life. :)

Geckilian

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 11:00:47 PM »
I'm quite partial to this absolute beauty here - http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/m/magnificentEgos/nightmares/v5748btpy7s7z

It's hideously expensive, but ye gods look at the size of the thing. It's actually cheaper than the Forge World Chaos Dragon though (which is another favourite of mine) which makes it very, very tempting.

Offline Vermis

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Minisculpture
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2009, 02:03:39 AM »
ye gods look at the size of the thing.

Viszeralyn will weigh in at over twice the size of any other piece released this year or in recent memory. She is 22 inches in length and has a 25-inch and 10-inch wingspan. She is over 11 inches across and 8 inches deep at the base and stands a full 24 inches in height. To scale, Viszeralyn is literally the equivalent of putting a 10-story building on your game table.

I can't tell if they're trying to sell a dragon, or pills to 'put inches on your dragon'.

I've seen it before, agreed with the Frother cries of "half the resin's in that rock!"  Didn't notice how much they put into pimping it's size, though.  Bit strange, as if nothing else matters.  From the blurb it sounds like the only other things going for it (mentioned in passing) are the designer and sculptor, and I generally don't rate Sandra Garrity's dragons.

Freakinacage: He's racist towards... ventriloquists' dummies?  Because... they give him nosebleeds?

Wskr: not a bad job.

In other news, I just lost a Teronus on ebay. :cry:
minisculpture.co.uk
DanG on greens:

Offline caerban

• Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2009, 09:53:46 AM »
ye gods look at the size of the thing.

Viszeralyn will weigh in at over twice the size of any other piece released this year or in recent memory. She is 22 inches in length and has a 25-inch and 10-inch wingspan. She is over 11 inches across and 8 inches deep at the base and stands a full 24 inches in height. To scale, Viszeralyn is literally the equivalent of putting a 10-story building on your game table.

I can't tell if they're trying to sell a dragon, or pills to 'put inches on your dragon'.

"Is your girlfriend unimpressed with the size of your draconiform?"  I've had that email I think :D

Freakinacage: He's racist towards... ventriloquists' dummies?  Because... they give him nosebleeds?

I think you'll find it's the badly burned Albanian boy from the day before.

In other news, I just lost a Teronus on ebay. :cry:

So did I   :tears:

Offline weareblind

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2009, 10:16:40 AM »

Offline Big Boris

• aka Andy Foster, Heresy Miniatures Owner/Prisoner
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • Dragon Slayer. At last.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heresyminiatures.com
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2009, 11:08:58 AM »
Albi the Racist Dragon = Flight of the Conchords = good.

Geckilian

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2009, 11:55:26 AM »
Geckilian, you're guilty. 

Hmm? Of what exactly?

Offline weareblind

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2009, 12:52:50 PM »
Geckilian, you're guilty. 

Hmm? Of what exactly?
You opened to me a new EXPENSIVE world.

Geckilian

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2009, 10:57:57 PM »
Well if you do go for it, make sure to send them an email first checking for availability, as I think they make them to order.

Offline hawkins

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • Evil? You have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2009, 12:56:22 PM »
always been partial to T'char was the first dragon i ever owned.
You PLAY with GARY every time you pick up the dice

Offline freakinacage

• heretic and heathen
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2009, 09:55:49 PM »

I think you'll find it's the badly burned Albanian boy from the day before.
thankee sir!

Albi the Racist Dragon = Flight of the Conchords = good.

correct! have you seen any of the new series?