Author Topic: Experimental Rules  (Read 7335 times)

Offline Carcharoth

• Twilight Moderator
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Twilight Website
Experimental Rules
« on: April 13, 2009, 11:59:29 AM »
I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread for presenting experimental rules for feedback. The first couple of rules are from the Rulebook, but I appreciate that not everybody has been able to get hold of them yet! The Commander rule has already been tweaked slightly from that presented in the rulebook.
This is also a good place to suggest new rules that you think would be worth trying out!

Experimental Points Scheme:
The following points are intended to give roughly balanced forces, but have not yet been fully tested, so it is likely that some permutations may prove to be highly imbalanced, and that the points need tweaking.

EMPIRE FUBARNII
Knight Captain: 100pts
Knight: 25 pts
Militia Captain: 50pts
Militia: 10pts
Trader/Engineer: Free(+)
Baruk: 25pts(+)

DEVANU
Kopa: 200pts(*)
Sempa: 150pts
Grishak: 25pts

+ These models are limited by the rules of the scenario
* You may only ever field one Kopa in a Devanu force

Commanders:
For larger games it will be difficult to activate all the models with the limited number of Activation Counters in the game. In order to cope with this, it will be necessary to add Commanders into the forces.
For the Fubarnii you can promote either the Knight or the Militia Captains into a Commander. For the Devanu it would only be the Kopa who would be the Commander. Using the experimental points system the Commander ability costs 50pts, and the skill is added to the basic profile. It should be noted that a model can only use one Command Ability per turn, so the Fubarnii could use either Captain or Commander each turn.
Commander: This model may activate up to four friendly Elites.

Offline Jubal

• Master Engineer
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Exilian Webforum
Re: Experimental Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 08:48:56 PM »
Would Devanu tribes (and thus Kopa) never work together for larger-scale fighting, out of interest?

Also; since Engineers are said to offer their services to the forces, would it be possible to get a non-scenario points cost down for them at some point?
Dwarf & Chaos Dwarf Warhammer Player, World of Twilight Fubarnii Player

Editor of A Call To Arms (Wargming E-Zine);
http://s1.zetaboards.com/A_Call_To_Arms
Admin of Exilian Forums;
http://s9.zetaboards.com/exilian

Offline Carcharoth

• Twilight Moderator
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Twilight Website
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 01:17:06 PM »
It would be rare for Devanu tribes to be that cooperative, but it is far from impossible!

If you want to scale up the game I would firstly suggest playing around a bit with the Devanu stats. The plan is to have a few different types of Sempa with differing abilities and specialities. Some Sempa may well have abilities such as leap, or maybe increased stamina or combat. I've got a few more different skills to test out at some point to make the individuals a bit more distinct. For the moment you could simply play using two Kopa, promoting one with the Commander ability and treating the other as a particularly powerful Sempa.

We've been playing the Engineer at around 25-30pts, and that doesn't seem too far off the mark. He proved particularly devastating in the last game we played, so it is possible that might be slightly underpriced! We've been playing Cornered recently - changing the victory condition so Devanu only flee once all the Devanu are killed, but giving the Fubarnii the engineer to balance the forces.

Offline Jubal

• Master Engineer
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Exilian Webforum
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 07:21:35 PM »
I played a first experimental battle yesterday, using the same size forces as in the larger starter set. Our hilariously makeshift kit didn't help (shaking dominoes rather than combat stones, being able to force combat phases by feeling around for the buttons in the counter bag) but I have to say it was very, very, very good fun. Congratulations on a really great game system.  :notworthy:

Admin of Exilian Forums;

Offline Carcharoth

• Twilight Moderator
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Twilight Website
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »
Thanks Jubal! Glad to hear you enjoyed it :D
As for shaking dominos... sounds like a very imaginative solution! 
Oh, and who won?

Offline Jubal

• Master Engineer
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Exilian Webforum
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 09:44:55 PM »
My friend, with the Fubarnii. My Kopa failed to assassinate his knight captain, which was a gamble I guess but it failed. The Kopa was then mashed severely by the knights, and even my Grishak and Sempa taking both the militia captains down couldn't swing it back after that. The knight captain did a co-ordinated strike to take down my Sempa, but we kept going for the hilarity of the one remainig Grishak suicidally charging the captain, not dying, surviving a combat phase and then being killed by the eingineer... who blasted him firing straight through the militia and knights, leading to two fubarnii dying in the process.  :D

Admin of Exilian Forums;

Gethuch

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:38:32 PM »
We've been playing the Engineer at around 25-30pts, and that doesn't seem too far off the mark. He proved particularly devastating in the last game we played,

Only because I stood right in front of him and let him blast me point-blank with his derak. D'oh.  :roll:

Take note, folks - don't stand in front of the noisy end!

Offline Carcharoth

• Twilight Moderator
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Twilight Website
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 06:36:53 PM »
We've been playing the Engineer at around 25-30pts, and that doesn't seem too far off the mark. He proved particularly devastating in the last game we played,

Only because I stood right in front of him and let him blast me point-blank with his derak. D'oh.  :roll:

Take note, folks - don't stand in front of the noisy end!

It was actually the next game after that where it went even more wrong for me... I've not been doing well with Devanu recently!

Mechaace

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 09:16:20 AM »
I was wondering, I looked at Commander, though it may be slightly different in the printed book and I don't know if it's me being glaekit but is there any difference between Commander and Captain, and therefore since you can only use one what's the point. I presume there is something since you wouldn't put a skill you couldn't use in.

Offline Carcharoth

• Twilight Moderator
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Twilight Website
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
The printed book has a typo on the commander skill, which fails to distinguish it from the captain skill. I've no idea how that slipped through all the reviewing :oops:
The description in this thread is the corrected version, and I'm sorry for the confusion.

A normal Fubarnii force, as described in the scenarios tends to require two or three activations to fully activate - the captains cannot activate each other, so they have to be activated one at a time. The Commander allows you to activate several elites (for example the captains), who can then activate their troops. With a Commander in your force you can manage activations far more effectively, and also manage larger formations of troops without risking units getting left behind.
For the Devanu the ability to activate the entire pack with a single activation is also very powerful, allowing more carefully coordinated attacks, or giving the opportunity for a Kopa to leap in to the rescue of a trapped Sempa.

Mechaace

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 10:25:55 AM »
Ah okay, now that I see the corrected version, and the fact that the captains are denoted as elite then that makes sense.

Offline Jubal

• Master Engineer
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Exilian Webforum
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 11:40:03 AM »
Finally my fledgling Fubarnii force is being ordered! I'm away for the next week, alas, but nevertheless I'm excited for when I get back.  :D

Admin of Exilian Forums;

Scalifano

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »
Finally my fledgling Fubarnii force is being ordered! I'm away for the next week, alas, but nevertheless I'm excited for when I get back.  :D

I have ordered me a small starter set also.  I can't wait either.  I have started to build a Fubarnii dwelling.  Just need to get some washers for windows, build some sort of door, and spackal the walls for texture. I'll try to post a picture in the next few days.

Offline Carcharoth

• Twilight Moderator
  • Dark Lord
    • View Profile
    • The Twilight Website
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 06:56:30 PM »
Fantastic stuff - can't wait to see what you are doing with the building!

I've been having a productive weekend putting the finishing touches on a few Delgon models, as well as starting a couple of character models for the other two cultures... Whilst sculpting I've been thinking through some smaller scenarios to work with the starter set. We played one pair of linked scenarios through a couple of months ago and I might just dig out my notes on those and post a rough version here in case anybody would like to try them out.

Offline Jubal

• Master Engineer
  • Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
    • Exilian Webforum
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 10:16:25 PM »
I'm back from Cambridge... and Fubarnii are here! Yay!  :D

Admin of Exilian Forums;

Offline Dr. Bizarre

• Worthless Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 12:05:01 AM »
Hello mr. michael, it's Luke here, found you eventually! Recognised your twilight stuff on the Hasslefree site. I remember playtesting the rules years ago! Just wondering what you were up to these days?