Author Topic: Stripping with Dettol (and Katy Perry)  (Read 29763 times)

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
Re: Stripping with Dettol (and Katy Perry)
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2012, 11:22:01 PM »
Yes, we have a bunch of them in the labs. They're also great for cleaning airbrushes and glasses!
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Hellboy - "Wake the Devil", Mike Mignola

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2012, 01:46:10 AM »
It pulses ultra-sonic waves through a fluid (in this case, dettol) and effectively vibrates the dirt/debris off the thing.

We use them at work for cleaning metallic filters (except we use spirit instead of dettol).

Not quite. The ultrasonic cleaner causes cavitation. Imploding bubbles in the cleaning liquid (this case water) which basically blast the debris off. It's actually very aggressive at the micro level.
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2012, 02:36:35 AM »
I think it screams at the stuff in it so loud that all the junk falls off.  I kinda want to try using one.

Sounds less technical and more fun.  Unless you find technical technicallities technically fun on a technical level.
Cult of Inevitable Decay painted:  93/123 (Heresy), 22/22 (non Heresy)

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

Offline the kraken wakes

• Worthless Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2013, 10:31:23 AM »
Hi

First time poster here and was reading this topic with interest.  Does anyone have any other tips on how to remove the Dettol gunk?  On smaller items hard work and persistence has paid off but soaked a large item and im having trouble shifting it. 

thanks

Offline beefcake

• Tyrant of the NetherHells
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »
I don't know if it was said on this thread but dragon I believe it was once said that a coating of PVA glue after the dettol can lift the rest of it off. I tried it and it does seem to work but the PVA can be hard to get off sometimes as well if you do it too thick or thin. I usually let them dry out for a while and then give it a brushing again after the dettol has dried, not the PVA.

Offline ink the troll

• Dark Underlord
  • short, fat & ugly
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2013, 11:16:37 AM »
Put on rubber/ latex/ vinyl gloves and grab a roll of kitchen paper towels. Use that to remove the gunk and if it's still very gunky, then throw the mini into the stripping jar again.

For smaller remainders of paint sitting in hard to reach places, stuff like blue tack/ pattafix or similar works well. Press it onto the mini and pull it off, repeat as required.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Dethkor

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »
I've used an old electric toothbrush to strip paint after soaking the mini in paint remover.

P.S.  Dettol is a strange name for an exotic dancer  :nah:

Offline the kraken wakes

• Worthless Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »
Thanks for very much for your help. 

Last time I got a fair amount off and put it in for another soak but the gunk reappeared all over the piece, not sure if this is because I diluted the Dettol to begin with.  Will devote some time to it tonight

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »
never mix dettol and water when paint stripping.

trying to wash the dettol off with water just makes the gunk slimy and worse!
"So far in begging stakes Brandlin is waaay ahead with his grav bike"  -  Sally 8/10/08

Offline the kraken wakes

• Worthless Imp
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2013, 12:33:47 PM »
Sorry, not washing it off with water as aware of the problems with that but most articles ive read say you can dilute the Dettol to begin with.  Once its in I don't let any other water near it, just a dry brush and more Dettol. 

cheers

Offline Brandlin

• Mighty Fallen One
  • UnDOD2013
    • View Profile
    • Brandlin's
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »
i'd suggest the dilution doesn't help either...

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2013, 03:55:42 PM »
I've tried diluted and neat.  Neat every time.  I put some minis in the other day and the paint was coming off in less than 5 minutes.  They're still in there, wonder how they look.

What was that universal greeting?  "Bah weep, grah nah weep, ninny bong!"  Hot Rod, Transformers: The Movie

Offline DRAGON

• LORD OF WHITE METAL MOUNTAIN
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2013, 06:36:04 PM »
 :metoo: always neat for speed of stripping if nothing else. The pva method works fine but once it is dry dont leave it too long as I have found it goes quite hard after a few days and can be a bit of a pain to pull off !
Heaven doesn't want me. Hell is afraid i will take over !
OFFICIAL WINNER UDOD 2012
Minis painted this year (2013) : Too few !
Heresy Dragon - paint in progress - coming soon... seriously !

http://foddragon.mybrute.com

Offline leadhead

• Thread Killer
  • Dark Overlord of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2013, 10:49:52 PM »
Yeah, I pva'd a pile a few hours ago and need to peel them now. :whistle:

Nevermind, too humid.  The glue isn't drying.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:57:33 PM by leadhead »

Offline DRAGON

• LORD OF WHITE METAL MOUNTAIN
  • Supreme Archfiend of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
Think I should own shares in Dettol after the last few weeks - decided to strip a load of GW stuff a mate gave me a get it on ebay I then walk past a charity shop and aquired 3 boxes of 40k stuff for 10 - the idea was to reduce some of the mountain not add to it ! Must have used nearly 4 litres of the stuff in the last few weeks  :angel:
Heaven doesn't want me. Hell is afraid i will take over !
OFFICIAL WINNER UDOD 2012
Minis painted this year (2013) : Too few !
Heresy Dragon - paint in progress - coming soon... seriously !

http://foddragon.mybrute.com

Offline Lorenz0

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2014, 08:59:28 PM »
My poison of choice is fairy power spray.

Three or four squirts into one of ths little sealable bags we get our shinies in, massage into the mini, and leave for a few hours.

Succesfully strips everything from today's booboos to 1988's humbrol varnished ultramarine as :-)

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »
Have you got any to hand? Would you mind checking the label? The should be a bare bones ingredients list such as:

"Contains:
5-15% Anionic surfactants
<5% EDTA"

Thaat sort of stuff. I'd be interested in what they declare. I should say that I'm a chemist who designs cleaning chemicals for a living, but my interest here is purely in what works well for stripping miniatures! Thanks.
"That's interesting. Horses don't USUALLY explode, no matter how hard you hit them."

Offline TSR

• Chosen Heretic
  • .....wrong side of another day
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2014, 01:29:21 PM »
My poison of choice is fairy power spray.

Three or four squirts into one of ths little sealable bags we get our shinies in, massage into the mini, and leave for a few hours.

Succesfully strips everything from today's booboos to 1988's humbrol varnished ultramarine as :-)

I second the fairy power spray. Squirted in a jar with minis and close lid. Leave a day to be certain, then remove and scrub with an old toothbrush under running water. Leave residue in jar, add next batch of minis and squint some more spray and repeat. Eventually the contents of the jar requires changing.

Best thing, no dettol smell clinging to the minis and does not "gunk" like dettol in water
I really like this jacket...
but the sleeves are much too long!

Offline TSR

• Chosen Heretic
  • .....wrong side of another day
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2014, 01:49:08 PM »
Have you got any to hand? Would you mind checking the label? The should be a bare bones ingredients list such as:

"Contains:
<5% EDTA"

Thaat sort of stuff. I'd be interested in what they declare. I should say that I'm a chemist who designs cleaning chemicals for a living, but my interest here is purely in what works well for stripping miniatures! Thanks.

<5% non-ionic surfacants, polycarboxylates, perfumes, geranoil, limonene (in very small writing!)

Label refers to www.info-pg.com Product code 99586378

I really like this jacket...
but the sleeves are much too long!

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2014, 07:14:07 PM »

"Contains:
<5% EDTA"

<5% non-ionic surfacants, polycarboxylates, perfumes, geranoil, limonene (in very small writing!)

Label refers to www.info-pg.com Product code 99586378

Many thanks. I strongly suspect it's the limonene that's doing the stripping. I may have to investigate further. Cheers for taking to time to find out.

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »
Limonene  is one of the alternative plastic glues, for when little timmy cant be trusted with "proper" plastic cements  ( though its still not entirely safe).
so if your using a lot of it, be careful and watch out on plastics, and resins if you soak them in it.
a happy dauber

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2014, 06:19:07 PM »
I've never come across it as plastic glue (I use the methyl ehtyl ketone-type) but it certainly is a solvent. It's often marketed as a 'natural' solvent as it's extracted from orange oil. It's also used in a lot of perfumes (for soaps etc., as opposed to fine fragrances).

Offline Steel Penguin

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2014, 09:58:17 AM »
Gangrel, I first came across it in a Tamiya catalogue as one of the alternative glues,  I have no idea how effective it is as like you I use Plastic weld, ( though if you know a good supplier of MEKpac  id be interested)
a happy dauber

Offline Gangrel

• Scientist Supreme
  • Dark Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2014, 08:39:55 PM »
I could probably try pure d'limonene if I wanted to evaluate it. I'm sure I have some samples kicking around somewhere... As to MEKpac, these days I tend to just use Humbrol or similar. I've never found any real differences among the VOC-type ones (volatile organic compound).