Author Topic: Heresy Dragon Big Thread Of Doom  (Read 765303 times)

Offline Big Boris

• aka Andy Foster, Heresy Miniatures Owner/Prisoner
  • Administrator
  • Tyrant of the NetherHells
  • Dragon Slayer. At last.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.heresyminiatures.com
Heresy Dragon Big Thread Of Doom
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:24:24 PM »

There are big pics on the page they all link to. This is very much WIP, I have to stress, but it is #1 on my list as it's the best chance I have of getting some instant cash to pay my huge, whopping tax bill with. I can't overstate the importance of you finding your dragon-loving friend and asking them to pay me some money towards this bad boy.
I hope to finish it by April, indeed by Salute at the end of March I should like to at least have the finished dragon in the cabinet if not any resin copies to sell, but it could take longer, it all depends on how much casting i have to do between now and then, if I have to sell the house to pay bills, etc, etc. So if you all can spare £30 (or more ;) ) now, then i can stand a good chance of paying off my tax bill sooner rather than later.

Info from the page:

You don't want to know how long it takes to do small area of scales, or how hard they are to do well.

This Dragon is not finished yet, it's still at the 'staring and thinking how to improve it' stage. The photos don't capture it at all. If you want really big photos, right click the links below the pics and 'Save Target As' ...

Next time, texture roller and a more elephant like skin, I swear...I am currently aiming for something slightly crocodilian, slightly snake ish, slightly fantasy-ish. Basically something that is unique to a dragon. I've also built up the shoulders so that they look more realistically capable of powering those wings than the standard 'stick the wings on the body somewhere' approach seen in other dragons.

Note: there are weeks of work left in this, just on getting the scales right, never mind the wings. I'm hoping against hope to get it done by Salute at the end of March this year, but it depends how much of my time is spent casting stuff to fill the drawers prior to that and the Hammerhead show mid feb.

This model represents my best shot at even paying half my tax this year. This version will also be a limited edition, I think. I don't know how much the final thing will cost other than it should hopefully be less than £100. (But I've seen other resin models of similar size go for more than that) I know it will be at least £60.

If you wish to pay a deposit on this dragon to reserve one or more for yourself then please either Paypal me £30 to orders@heresyminiatures.com (Choose 'Send Money' from your Paypal account homepage, then choose 'Personal Payments' then 'Money Owed', then enter that email address as the address to send money to, make the subject title Dragon Deposit) Or you can use the regular shopping basket by going to the dragon's wip page on the main Heresy site. You can pay more than £30 if you wish to. It would certainly help me out with my tax bill.

Offline Ajsalium

• Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • Role 'n' Roll
Re: A big dragon.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:28:16 PM »
F***ING F***! :jawdrop:
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline Lurching Dead

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 08:30:23 PM »
 :jawdrop:

:notworthy:
"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her." W.C. Fields

Offline weareblind

• Heavy Metal or no Metal at all
  • Mighty Fallen One
  • We are blind to the world within us
    • View Profile
Re: A big dragon. (Work In Progress)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 08:33:13 PM »
CA**O CHE BOMBA - WE WANT MORE
We are blind to the world within us

Offline beefcake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 08:33:48 PM »
Oh my Lord that is awesome. The pose is absolutely great and the skin texture looks brilliant. When it's finished I can imagine it will be a big seller and sell quickly too. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money to pay as 100 pounds would be about NZ$250.
AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :notworthy: :D :yup: :yup:

Offline Beastlord

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: A big dragon. (Work In Progress)
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 08:38:16 PM »
 :jawdrop: Jesus, man you shouldn't do stuff like that right out of the blue-frightened several inoccent people and annoyed a librarian with my exclamation of wonder  :twisted:
Love the pose and the scales look really interesting... I think you have something unique there-never seen one like it. Has a really nice combination of power and sinuosity (?).
Not sure about where the wing membranes meet the body but realise that it's WIP.
Seriously tempted to pre-order...
 :thumbup:  :applause:
Its "I couldn't care less"  :tantrum:

Offline weareblind

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
Re: The first ever Heresy dragon. A big one. (Work In Progress)
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 08:39:38 PM »
It's terrible that you have to launch a pre-subscription... Anyway, just the time to put my daughter Gloria down (from my left arm to the bed) and I will do my 2 pre-orders.

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 08:46:24 PM »
I'll be setting up an instalments plan when I know the final price so that people can pay a little bit each month as and when they can afford it, eg three payments of £33.50 or something like that.
:jawdrop: Jesus, man you shouldn't do stuff like that right out of the blue-frightened several inoccent people and annoyed a librarian with my exclamation of wonder  :twisted:

Sorry about that. Just tell them you saw a rat under one of the shelves.

Love the pose and the scales look really interesting... I think you have something unique there-never seen one like it. Has a really nice combination of power and sinuosity (?).
Not sure about where the wing membranes meet the body but realise that it's WIP.
Seriously tempted to pre-order...
 :thumbup:  :applause:

You should pre-order. It would help me out enormously.
As to wing membranes, what's making you uncertain so far? Could be something I need to address. One stares for so long at these things as you make them, that you start to miss obvious errors.

Offline Beastlord

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 09:24:22 PM »
I'll be setting up an instalments plan when I know the final price so that people can pay a little bit each month as and when they can afford it, eg three payments of £33.50 or something like that
You should pre-order. It would help me out enormously.
As to wing membranes, what's making you uncertain so far? Could be something I need to address. One stares for so long at these things as you make them, that you start to miss obvious errors.

Instalments is a good idea-main worry about pre-ordering is not having all the money when its finished.

Re: Wing membranes - Just wondered how the trailing edge is attached to the body. In a bat the membrane attaches to the hind leg, but I dont suppose that would work... Are those muscle blocks on the underside? The more I look the more I think I'm talking nonsense now... Sorry. Definate improvement on the usual 'arm with bit of leather hanging off' , and the main body of the wings are beautiful.

EDIT: Looking again (again) I guess they're attached to the spine region.. never know how realistically to think about these things.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 09:27:02 PM by Beastlord »

Offline gi6ers

• Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • Clatto Verata N... Necktie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 09:31:14 PM »
EDIT: Looking again (again) I guess they're attached to the spine region.. never know how realistically to think about these things.

Vermis, your input is required here  :lol:

dizbuster

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 09:33:48 PM »
 :notworthy:

Well Andy you don't do anything by halves do you. How F=in big. may have to sell my un made Netherlord 1 to raise the dosh.  :blub:
As i was one of those wanting a dragon as big as a small dog you can put me down for one.  :crazy:

Offline Big Boris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
Re: Wing membranes - Just wondered how the trailing edge is attached to the body. In a bat the membrane attaches to the hind leg, but I dont suppose that would work... Are those muscle blocks on the underside? The more I look the more I think I'm talking nonsense now... Sorry. Definate improvement on the usual 'arm with bit of leather hanging off' , and the main body of the wings are beautiful.

Well, they'd be extensions of  the skin, so attached to the back/ribs area. Very tough tendon like material. I've given it extra 'shoulder' muscles around the wing arms for downward pulling, rather than relying on pectorals alone to pull the wings in the many directions they'd need to go. Not just up and down, you see, they'd be more of a 'rotating scoop' like bats and big birds.

Note the technical jargon. To fly in real life, the dragon would need to blow flames from the other end than it's mouth. See Terry Pratchett's book  'Guards! Guards!' for an example of a jet-powered dragon.

Offline fear_the_squirrels

• Administrator
  • Archheretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »
Will the dragon come with an official Vermis seal of approval?   :cool:

-TOC

Offline DanG

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
    • LJ weblog
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 09:39:25 PM »
er.  Wow...

Er.  Bum...  Now what do I do in Feb...  Get minis or pre-order...  Not sure I can manage both.  But.  Wow.  I want it...
DanG™  :transform:

"If your Martial Arts prowess fails to resolve a situation play dead. When playing dead doesn't work, play zombie."

greenstuff_gav

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 09:48:09 PM »
holy shiznae! i'm having one! just gotta see if any of the others in the club want one too before sending moneys :lol:

a mouth closed and a mouth open option'd be nice  :oops:

one set of horns merekons, swept back kinda for aerodynamics :)

Offline weareblind

• Mighty Fallen One
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 09:59:46 PM »
Smaug be my guide!

Or Ancalagon the Black

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 10:01:21 PM by weareblind »

Offline Inso

• Global Moderator
  • Really Like Totally The Most Doomey Thing Ever
  • I am a Velociraptor; hear me ROAR!!!
    • View Profile
    • Inso's World
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 10:00:15 PM »
That is certainly an impressive piece of work and no mistake :mrgreen:.

If it keeps going the way it is, I can see it becoming a classic very quickly.

Very cool 8).
The light at the end of the tunnel is just someone with a torch, locking the gate.

Visit my blog at:  http://insosworld.blogspot.com/    It could save your life!

Do you like Grymn?  This is for YOU!:  http://grymnoutthere.blogspot.com/

My Shop: https://insoemporium.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Beastlord

• Dark Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 10:06:43 PM »
Well, they'd be extensions of  the skin, so attached to the back/ribs area. Very tough tendon like material. I've given it extra 'shoulder' muscles around the wing arms for downward pulling, rather than relying on pectorals alone to pull the wings in the many directions they'd need to go. Not just up and down, you see, they'd be more of a 'rotating scoop' like bats and big birds.

Note the technical jargon. To fly in real life, the dragon would need to blow flames from the other end than it's mouth. See Terry Pratchett's book  'Guards! Guards!' for an example of a jet-powered dragon.

Think I can see that... I've spent too long studying anatomy-cant help looking at things and going "so how does that work?". And I must stop trying to compare bird anatomy to six limbed dragons.

For the head, I reckon open and closed mouths would be good (see you've already done those EDIT: Or is that just a movable lower jaw?). I've never really understood why dragons would have horns, what with the fire and claws and teeth, but I suppose there isn't anything much cooler looking to decorate their heads with... I'd say keep them relatively small. Though now I think on it, how about a small spike on the nose? Could be an egg tooth that evolved into something permanent...? Oh and I emphatically vote against those daft little wings GW dragons have on the sides of their heads  :shrug:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 11:05:08 PM by Beastlord »

BrianC

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 10:57:47 PM »
I'll be pre ordering once I get paid end of the month.

I agree that offering two heads if at all possible would be great, if that could be extended to two necks then even better as it'd make it easier to convert into two different dragons and people might buy two.

I'd also suggest making a removable howda (not sure how to spell it) so you can put any model on its back so it'd be compatible with a certain gaming system, similar to how Ultraforge do it for their dragon.

Offline Squigface

• Chosen Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 11:00:42 PM »
Jeebus! That thing is magnificent, only dragon I've seen that I like, I'll preorder one if I can scrape together the cash, mind if I pimp it elsewhere?

Squig

Offline Argonor

• Lurker
  • I'm a Leadhead, I am!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 11:14:09 PM »
I just sent the link to a couple of friends and posted it on the LAF. You never now.

That dragon is going to be awesome. If I weren't desperately looking for a new job (my company closes Jan 31st), I'd probably go for it. Just now, though, money might get a bit tight, soon (I'll be short about £250 a month if I do not find something....).

A much nicer dragon than the horror GW spat out for LotR IMHO.
- Where's my brush...?

joroas: "My brain hurts"
Westphalia Chris: "Excellent! My work here is done."

Offline Mr Teufel

• Mighty Fallen One
  • Life goes on.
    • View Profile
    • Mr Teufel's LJ
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 11:33:34 PM »
 :shock: Utterly, utterly awesome.  :jawdrop:

Offline caerban

• Dark Overlord of Hell
  • The Dark Side of the Moomin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 11:42:03 PM »
Now that's ace.
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Deposit paid! I loves dragons!
"No matter how tempted I am with the prospect of unlimited power, I will not consume any energy field bigger than my head."

Offline mcfonz

• Dark Lord
  • Gulp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 11:56:59 PM »
F***ING F***! :jawdrop:

:metoo:

With some extra:

WOAH F***ING BIG B**T**D
To be honest I am not sure what to say - as soon as I saw it I knew I was going to need to change my undies . . . . . . I mean you either cr*p yourself in fear of the fact that it is the size of a cat or gaze in awe at what is the best ever miniature dragon - its not even fricken miniature its that good!
Addicted drewling gibbering slave of the FOD and its mini makers, painters and fans . . . . .
http://mcfonz.blogspot.com

Offline mcfonz

• Dark Lord
  • Gulp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2009, 11:58:35 PM »

Does this mean it's going to have some "vulnerable bits"?
Addicted drewling gibbering slave of the FOD and its mini makers, painters and fans . . . . .
http://mcfonz.blogspot.com